Quarter turn throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply, tremor38, just wondered whether there was a difference in "stock" throttle controls!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 AM

So, have we figured out the solution? What can I buy so my wrist doesn't kill be after a day's ride?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

search for a motion pro vortex throttle....I have one and luv it. my bike is gearded 13/45 as well, jetted, etc...it's actually really good to have the sensitive throttle in the woods to give the little bike a bit more "ooomph" to loft the front wheel up over a log on the trail, etc And the vortex throttle does not use the return cable...but if that worries you, you can simply put a spring on the throttle at the carb.

good luck

Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

No doubt Tremor and MJ are right about the advantages of an after-market throttle.

Problem for me is that there are so many other "gotta have" mods that this one is pretty far down.

That and the fact that I don't find the 1/4 turn throttle a big bother. Other than acelerating onto a main highway I don't spend too much time at WOT, so I'm not too worried about my wrist. Still, the Vortex is on the list.....

Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Corey Jacobs
So, have we figured out the solution? What can I buy so my wrist doesn't kill be after a day's ride?
an FCR carb......the throw is way shorter.

Actually, I would not want a short throw throttle with my FCR. Its perfect with the stock setup.

But that stock carb.......on rides I used to adjust my hand grip to make it more comphy....still sucked.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudjunkie
...it's actually really good to have the sensitive throttle in the woods to give the little bike a bit more "ooomph" to loft the front wheel up over a log on the trail, etc.
I somewhat disagree. If you're just blasting down a dirt road, 2-track, or a MX track, then yeah, a 1/4-turn throttle is fun. If you're riding tight single-track with slimy rocks, roots and mud, the fun abruptly ends. You need smooth throttle control for that stuff to keep the rear wheel from constantly breaking loose.

Try riding on this crap with a twitchy throttle...

I had a Magura 1/4-turn throttle, but took it off and put the stocker back on to ride on this stuff. I'd like to try one of those progressive throttles with the removeable cams, but they are a bit pricey for what they are.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Vortex and it is taken me sometime to get use to it on the pavement, never tried it off road yet? I could only think the tight trails would be tricky, a pumper carb makes it even more touchy.

But if you are on the road it works great once banging threw the gears!

Name:  HPIM0637.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  86.2 KB

Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
I somewhat disagree. If you're just blasting down a dirt road, 2-track, or a MX track, then yeah, a 1/4-turn throttle is fun. If you're riding tight single-track with slimy rocks, roots and mud, the fun abruptly ends. You need smooth throttle control for that stuff to keep the rear wheel from constantly breaking loose.

I don't agree.. I have the Vortex throttle, and while the twist is considerably less than stock, I still have no problem "finess'ing" it through the woods.. You just gotta have good hand/eye coordination I ride in terrain like that all the time and never had a problem.

I wouldn't go back to stock. And the Vortex was only like $25 so it was well worth it.