Q4 vs. TBR

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
cls
1st Gear Member
Default Q4 vs. TBR

I've read a bunch of the hype, but I saw/heard a clip of the TBR, Q4, and the HMF, all of which sounded very similar at rpm (I believe it was run at 5K rpm.). If the sound is close, I'd go w/the TBR, as I've had them on many street bikes and I love the looks/sound. Any help? I like it pretty loud, actually, but I want to be reasonable in the noise department, as I'll be riding in some "iffy" locations.

Thanks much.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

My Q4 was almost too loud for one of the DS rides I did. 96db max. The sound check guy wasnt sure what rpms to test the klx at though. A buddy with the 2 bros was over but they let him ride anyway. I'm not familiar with the TBR , do you have a link to the sound clip you are talking about. People on here are always looking for actual comparisons. Here is an unscientific one I did with some buddies. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32162
post that link if you have it.
thanks
Dan

Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

You found it! That is the very clip I was talking about. I just don't hear enough difference to keep you out of trouble w/one or the other. They're different (HMF loudest, then TBR, then Q4>), but I don't hear enough difference to really be stealth w/any of them...Any big power differences, throttle response, anything? The TBR sounds the cleanest and most responsive. It sounds a bit sharper, like it revs a little quicker and cleaner. True, or can you tell?

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

If it's just the muffler you're talking about, these are all glasspacks. There will not be any noticeable difference in power between them. Get the one you like the sound of best.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 AM
cls
1st Gear Member

I figured they'd be about the same, except for maybe the Q4. If it's a bit more stifled, I figured it may feel a bit more tame. I'm more interested in the sound. I was under the impression the Q4 was supposed to be a quiet muffler. I didn't hear much difference in the audio. If that's the case, I'll get the TBR. None of them sounded stealth, which I more expected of the Q4.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cls
You found it! That is the very clip I was talking about. I just don't hear enough difference to keep you out of trouble w/one or the other. They're different (HMF loudest, then TBR, then Q4>)
yeah that's my little movie. I thought your were talking about another brand of muffler TBR, I just figured out TBR = Two Brothers, duh. I have to say in person out of the three the 2Bros is the loudest then the HMF and the Q4. The 2 Bro's has more of a sharp crack, the larger canned HMF and Q4 seem to have a lower tone. As stated performance wise they are all about the same.
Dan

Old 08-29-2010, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cls
I've read a bunch of the hype, but I saw/heard a clip of the TBR, Q4, and the HMF, all of which sounded very similar at rpm (I believe it was run at 5K rpm.). If the sound is close, I'd go w/the TBR, as I've had them on many street bikes and I love the looks/sound. Any help? I like it pretty loud, actually, but I want to be reasonable in the noise department, as I'll be riding in some "iffy" locations.

Thanks much.
I got the Two Bros for the variety of sound tips available.
http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...t-Simple2.html
I also managed to pick up the P3 that is the same shape as the P1X which is really quiet compared to the P1.
(img) (/img)

Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member

just get the two bros if its to loud put a ''power tip" on it to quiet it down

Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I've run a Q4 for about 800 miles now and it's getting loud. I think I should repack it before doing a DS ride with it. I see it leaks a little bit around where you screw the can together. The thing is, it's almost shameful how it costs almost $300 for a friggin muffler. It's a tin can with some wire mesh inside.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
I've run a Q4 for about 800 miles now and it's getting loud. I think I should repack it before doing a DS ride with it. I see it leaks a little bit around where you screw the can together. The thing is, it's almost shameful how it costs almost $300 for a friggin muffler. It's a tin can with some wire mesh inside.
Yeah they really bend you over. Not much to them. If you do your Q4 remember to remove the spark arrestor I forgot and couldnt get it apart. The screw that holds the spark arrestor in also holds the muffler together. I took some pics and will put up a short post on it later.
Dan

Quick Reply: Q4 vs. TBR