Q on measuring valve clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Elvie, why don't you have your friend who's going to guide you through the big bore kit go ahead and do the valve clearance check too? Here's the deal...it sounds like you'll need shim changes, and the cams are going to have to come out at that point anyway. You kill two birds with one stone...unless the big bore kit is a good ways off in the future.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

A good thought - simple answer is that I wanted to order the correct shims if they were required - maybe even do the install. Big bore kit install about a week away.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I just installed a 331 kit at 13,000 KM. No shim change needed. Checked my clearances previously at recomended 12,000 km and they were still in spec .

Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi all. Just checked the clearances with a mechanic and a proper set of feeler gauges.

LHS In .004
RHS In .005
LHS Ex .007
RHS Ex .007

So exhaust are fine and intake is tight - LHS barely within spec. So I will leave it alone for now and remeasure in a few 000K.

Thanks all for the input - it is appreciated.

Elvie

Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Elvie
Hi all. Just checked the clearances with a mechanic and a proper set of feeler gauges.

LHS In .004
RHS In .005
LHS Ex .007
RHS Ex .007

So exhaust are fine and intake is tight - LHS barely within spec. So I will leave it alone for now and remeasure in a few 000K.

Thanks all for the input - it is appreciated.

Elvie
Suggestion...you're fixing to pull your cams out shortly for your big bore kit. I'm thinking there's no reason on earth to leave any valves that close to being too tight when you're pulling the cams anyway. I'd get every valve to the "loose" end of the recommended scale. The bike runs better this way. Don't know if you're new to these type of bikes and their valve trains, but they get tighter not looser as miles build up.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Good advice - what is the most effective way to have the appropriate shims on hand. I believe I have read something about a set that can be purchased - fast shipping will be a prerequisite at this point in time. I recall something like hot cams and .748?

What is the best way to proceed. and of course thanks again!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

if you order a set, you'll have a lot of unused shims...local dealer here sells each shim for $3 to $5 each which is pretty expensive compared to buying a shim set for $60 or $100 if you think about price per shim...you might want see if you have an local moto shops that will do trades...trade in your old shim for what you need for free or small charge...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
if you order a set, you'll have a lot of unused shims...local dealer here sells each shim for $3 to $5 each which is pretty expensive compared to buying a shim set for $60 or $100 if you think about price per shim...you might want see if you have an local moto shops that will do trades...trade in your old shim for what you need for free or small charge...
Yes, definitely check with local dealers. Many dealers will just do a swap of shim-for-shim at no charge or a very minimal charge that's well less than shim prices.

Elvie, on what shims you'll need, just confirm your current max clearances now and get the shims to replace the ones that are in each valve when you pull the cams. Just make sure you don't exceed the maximum clearance. It's easy, really.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Not much luck wrt the local shim swap method. So... is this an appropriate item for an '09:

Hot Cams 7.48mm Complete Valve Shim Kit HCSHIM01.

Found on Amazon.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

nm.... looks like you got a mechanic on the next page of the thread..... he probably did my recommendation which was....
Rotate the crank 360 degrees (one revolution) and re-measure. I can't believe there is absolutely no clearance.

Last edited by durielk; 07-17-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Q on measuring valve clearance