pulley twist grip

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Default pulley twist grip

Its the little things that make all the difference, i decided to put on an old pulley type twist grip fromthe old 93KX crosserfrom whichi had transplanted the front end onto my KLX onto my bike as i was fed up with the, what felt like nearly a full turn to open the throttle feeling. What a difference its made, the whole bike feels completely different a much more pleasurable experience, where i was not able to get the wheel to come up without some moderate abuse of the clutch and loads of body englishi can now ****** the throttle in second and up she rises. Much better through the gears on the road and so much easier on the dirt, a cheap mod that transformed the whole bike "Highly Recommend".

I used the original throttle cable and just gingerly trimmed a small section of the outer off using a dremel and popped it back into the adjusterto give me enough length to feed round the pulley, i dont have a push-pull system now but it doesn't seem to be an issue. But i do have a spare cable now!

Simon L

[IMG]local://upfiles/4476/6A02E55067BB485D885C6DEA6B98EACB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Default RE: pulley twist grip

carb end, how do you guys add multiple pictures to posts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4476/0E4F5B2D46B240B6A034C5A575F9A012.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: britboard
carb end, how do you guys add multiple pictures to posts?
You need to upload your photos to a hosting service like photobucket, smugmug, etc so that they can be referenced by URL, then in the edit window click the "image" button just above the edit area and that will place a pair of "image" tags in square brackets. In between the tags, paste in the URL to the image on your hosting service. Any number of images can be included that way.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLXis known to have a long throttle pull. Adding a two stroke single cable throttle was one of the first things I did to my KLX. Much easier on the wrist and more control for me off road. PlanetKLX used to have a linkage modification to help shorten the throw on the CVK. I did the mod and was not satisfied at all. I ended up with a little cable binding that I couldn't get rid of and it just didn't shorten the throw enough to make much of a difference to me. There arenumerous two stroke throttles to choose from all with different length of pulls. I have tried a couple different ones myself.While I don't currently have a Motion Pro they have many to choose from. The CR style used to be a popular option with the KLX300 guys.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Not working for me Nobrakes, if i use the add image button i get another box asking for the URL of image if i cut and paste locator it doesn't show. does that sound right?

Simon L

Old 04-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, when I press the image button it pastes in the tags in my edit window wherever the cursor is. Maybe that's a forum preferences setting. If it pops up a window, that would be where you paste in the URL of your photo. The photo URL needs to be world accessible, i.e., no "file://..." references as that is simply your local hard drive. You need to upload your photos to an image hosting service or host them from your own server where others can reference them.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM

I'll give it another go some time, whilst you are about i have a question about the IMS tank that you fitted, was it a sow to get in or a simple job, my bike only has a 8lt or 2.1 us gall capacity being the enduro model and i was wondering how much usable capacity you where getting from the IMS, i dont have the same loom and cable problems that you guys have had as everything is routed to the outside of the frame as standard on my bike and i think that the rad cowls are what the tank was designed around? The only other concern was will i have enough clearance around the fork legs now? its becoming a bind having to fill up every 65miles.

Thanks
Simon L

[IMG]local://upfiles/4476/3FFC528A2B364D6A87FFF4658A5B9FAF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: britboard
I'll give it another go some time, whilst you are about i have a question about the IMS tank that you fitted, was it a sow to get in or a simple job, my bike only has a 8lt or 2.1 us gall capacity being the enduro model and i was wondering how much usable capacity you where getting from the IMS, i dont have the same loom and cable problems that you guys have had as everything is routed to the outside of the frame as standard on my bike and i think that the rad cowls are what the tank was designed around? The only other concern was will i have enough clearance around the fork legs now? its becoming a bind having to fill up every 65miles.
Todd (bmwhd) did the first one and I had the benefit of his experience when I did mine. It was an easy install, just requires some re-routing of the wiring, slight repositioning of the ignition coil, and removal of the stock radiator fan and optional replacement of that fan with some smaller / skinnier ones.

Actually, what bike to you have? If you have the KLX250R, then the IMS tank was actually designed for that bike, so you should be good to go. It is the KLX250S that requires some work.

For range, I was getting 150 miles +/- depending on the riding. Off-road miles are not equivalent to road miles. I got close to 60 MPH on the road and 45 to 50 MPH off-road. The IMS has 3.2 gallons, all of it usable. Beware though the reserve is very small, only a few hundred milliliters by my measurement. The IMS tank was the first mod I did to my KLX and it was great not having to stop for gas so often.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Yes its the KLX250R so i should be good, i've gone from right side uppys to upside downy forks though and was concerned that i may not have the clearance on full lock, but i think i should be golden looking at whats been done before, order being placed, but green, black or natural mmmmh, natural, i'm thinking.

Thanks
Simon L

Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I like natural because you can see the fuel level.

Quick Reply: pulley twist grip