Puget Sound area riders, where to go for offroad fun?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Default RE: Puget Sound area riders, where to go for offroad fun?

i do all of hunting up the mountain loop their are more forest service road past green mountain, just before grante falls take a left on jordan road go 3 maybe 5 mile russian rd is on your right its posted no unathurized vehical but tons of people ride there note stay to the south navy base to the north. found another spot not posted by lake bosworth thats south of granit falls off of robe menzle road lots of old logging roads gets boring with no one to ride with.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blacktail

i do all of hunting up the mountain loop their are more forest service road past green mountain, just before grante falls take a left on jordan road go 3 maybe 5 mile russian rd is on your right its posted no unathurized vehical but tons of people ride there note stay to the south navy base to the north. found another spot not posted by lake bosworth thats south of granit falls off of robe menzle road lots of old logging roads gets boring with no one to ride with.
With school coming and my daughters birthday am out until the weekend of the 9-10 of sept. so if you want lets go explore some of those areas. Let me know. You to duvallgold

Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

This is one of the issues that has prevented me from buying a KLX250S as soon as it was available.

If you go to the Thumper Talk forums (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/), and search the KLX forum, for threads on valves, there have been many people reporting this issue with the KLX300 and even other manufacturers high power 4 strokes (CRF450, etc.) in the other sections.

This is one of the drawbacks of trying to squeeze enough power out of the 4 stroke engines to be competitive power and weight wise, with two stroke dirt bikes.

Most of what I recall was, if your valves are stay within spec, for adjustments, you are good. As soon as they start to go (past a certain point?, I don't recall off hand), you should probably consider replacing them as soon as possible. There are numerous threads on this if you search for it.

It may not be as much an issue with the dual sports, since you typically are not getting them as hot as the KLX300 or maybe not riding them as hard as some of the riders on the KLX300's do.

Here's some threads, for example, one reply is by someone whom has done 7 replacements between 3 different KLX's: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ve+replacement

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ve+replacement

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ve+replacement

So, it is a concern. It's not just a "Kawasaki" thing, either. If I were to purchase a KLX250S, I would go for a good, long term, extended warranty, just in case.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

About 8 miles south of Monroe and 10 miles northeast of Redmond.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Scat, pick a date and I'm in.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm My Aunt and Uncle moved to Monroe last year, and I have been looking for an excuse to go visit them, maybe I could bring the bike.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

There you go. Reiter is only about 12 miles out HWY 2 from Monroe. There's probably alot more out that way, I just haven't done much exploring out there yet. Reiter was alot of fun though if you don't mind a good workout. I'm probably going to head up to either the North or Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie from North Bend tomorrow. On the map, it looks like there's at least dirt roads out that way.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Saturday sept. 9th is open, I will but a route together I am thinking of either Jacks pass or mountain loop but these rides are all gravel ? some single track would be cool as well.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

That would probably work for me. I'm still exploring the area so anywhere is fine with me. I just prefer there to be at least some dirt, preferably single track/4wd type stuff, not just flat forest service. I was up in the middle fork of the Snoqualmie a couple days ago. That was a fun ride and the further you went, the worse the road got, though any 2wd truck with clearance could have made it up that road. I went out to Index today to see what's around there. Ended up taking FS road 62 to the end. Not much up there but some nice views. one branch of the road at the end of it had an open gate but I didn't go through it. Right before the gate was a guy reloading for target practice and I couldn't tell what direction he would be shooting, so I figured the best place to be was as far away from him as possible. he wasn't even in a good spot for shooting. There were several other areas that would have been much better. But it almost looked like he was going to set up to shoot across the road. Maybe he figured he was far enough away and nobody would be going in that far. So that killed that leg of the trip.

Here's a pic of a pond I found up there:

[IMG]local://upfiles/2471/C466D1481EF84D2990D689AEFF058D4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2006, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

We can go up to walkervalley lots of single track there but being a saturday most likely will be extremly populated

Quick Reply: Puget Sound area riders, where to go for offroad fun?