Propblem shifting into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I have pretty much this same problem.. sometimes get stuck between 3rd and 2nd while downshifting too fast.... have to let the clutch out to the friction point to line em back up...

was gonna make a thread about it, but I have vague memory's of my old dirt bike doing the same thing, and figure it's not a bad thing, just an inconvenience.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

As these bikes have only one sump the engine oil quality is so important.
Same oil lubricating the crank & transmission.

One of our mechanics is from the German Kawasaki Firm Motorrad Becker. He is a huge fan of Motul Oil and runs it in both his Road Race bike and his weekend dirtbike.

On his advice I changed to Motul`s 300V Factory Line 15w50 in my 08, CB600F and it gave me much smoother gear changes and I gained 3 kph at 5000 rpm.

Haven't changed the oil in the KLXs to Motul yet but fully intend to.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ACOLE
As these bikes have only one sump the engine oil quality is so important.
Same oil lubricating the crank & transmission.

One of our mechanics is from the German Kawasaki Firm Motorrad Becker. He is a huge fan of Motul Oil and runs it in both his Road Race bike and his weekend dirtbike.

On his advice I changed to Motul`s 300V Factory Line 15w50 in my 08, CB600F and it gave me much smoother gear changes and I gained 3 kph at 5000 rpm.

Haven't changed the oil in the KLXs to Motul yet but fully intend to.
I'm due for an oil change soon anyways....

looks like this oil is order only though? maybe the bike shop will have some......

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I`m not suggesting using the Factory Line in the KLX, in fact I wouldn't I'm just making a point. The oil to use in the KLX is the Motul 5100 10w40 or 15w50 depending on your local conditions.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

... and I gained 3 kph at 5000 rpm.
Are you saying you gained speed without increasing RPM, just by changing oil? Or did I interpret that wrong?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

No, you understood correctly.
On a CB600F at approx 5250rpm you are doing 100kph.
After changing to the Motul 300V Factory Line oil which is a fully synthetic oil it took only 5000 rpm to do 100kph.
Both test carried out on the same road same conditions.
Engine sounds smoother as well.
Less start up noise.

Last edited by ACOLE; 05-28-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: more to add
Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

No, you understood correctly.
On a CB600F at approx 5250rpm you are doing 100kph.
After changing to the Motul 300V Factory Line oil which is a fully synthetic oil it took only 5000 rpm to do 100kph.
Both test carried out on the same road same conditions.
Engine sounds smoother as well.
Less start up noise.
?? Your engine is directly linked to your rear wheel. One rotation of your crankshaft has to give the same amount of rotation (in a given gear) to the rear wheel. Oil could affect how much gasoline it takes to get that rotation, but your RPM to speed ratio can't change because of the oil you use.
Dan

Old 05-28-2011, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
?? Your engine is directly linked to your rear wheel. One rotation of your crankshaft has to give the same amount of rotation (in a given gear) to the rear wheel. Oil could affect how much gasoline it takes to get that rotation, but your RPM to speed ratio can't change because of the oil you use.
Dan
+1

There is a slight rpm/speed difference between a new tire and that same tire at the end of it's life, if the speedo pickup is at the front axle.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Dan
So you don't subscribe to the theory that better lubrication results in the engine working better with less friction therefore resulting in less energy required to produce power.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALifeAquatic
... and lately I'm having some trouble here and there shifting from neutral into first, mainly when I'm standing still. ...
My bike will do this when the oil is dirty. It always goes away and shifts way smoother as soon as I change the oil.

Quick Reply: Propblem shifting into first gear