Propblem shifting into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Default Propblem shifting into first gear

I have a 2006 klx250, and lately I'm having some trouble here and there shifting from neutral into first, mainly when I'm standing still. First to second, second to third, etc, and back down are fine while I'm riding. It's when I'm stopped in neutral and try getting into first that I'm having a problem. I make sure the clutch is in, sometimes try it it half clutch to see if that makes a difference, but alot of times I have to rock the bike forward or backward to get it to click into gear. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I bought the bike last year with 6500 miles, now has 7500.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Clutch may be dragging, is it adjusted correctly? Do you have free play at the lever and at the lever on the other end of the cable by your right ankle?

How does it shift with the engine off?

Change the oil lately?

David

Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine will do that sometimes when I am at a stop sign and I shift into neutral while sitting if the stop light is a long one. Once in a while it will not go back into first. I just let the clutch back out and pull it in again and it will snick into gear. Not sure why.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine too does that ('07).
I usually keep the shifter down, and release the clutch slowly until it engage properly.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Same problem ('07) I always just roll backwards as I put it into first and it goes in just fine

Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine is a 2010 and it does it as well...like said above I just let the clutch out and back in and no prob. I would think it would be a clutch adjustment thing but mine is brand new with 2000 km's on it. Wouldn't think you would have to adjust already

Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys that are rocking the bike or letting the clutch out are most likely just realigning the gear dogs to a point where they can engage.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Every once in a while that happens to me.. Very rare, but when it does happen, just rolling the bike forward a couple inches will snap it right in.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, happens to mine too. It only happens when stationary and/or when shifting through multiple gears without engaging the clutch. It can happen on pretty much all manual transmissions - bikes, cars, ATVs, etc. The gear dogs need to be lined up so that they can engage each other.

Funny, I didn't notice it prior to breaking/replacing my shift star, but that doesn't really mean too much.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Work as a Parts Manager for a Dirt Bike Dealer. See a lot of different makes and models and the issue is not uncommon. Not a big deal.
As Red Pillar & Seth said pull the clutch in and out and all should be good.
Note: It is not a good idea to sit at the lights in neutral with the clutch pulled in and then try and engage first gear. ( Not that any of us would do that)

Quick Reply: Propblem shifting into first gear