As Promised - My Latest Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: As Promised - My Latest Mod

but it looks so simple and cheap too. why has'nt everyone done it?
ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

not many people have done it.....

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

How would it compare to the nobrakes vent mod? Ya know, the one where you run a crankcase vent to the top and plug off the port in the airbox?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Completely different.... his is just a vent, when you put a pcv valve in there it lets air out but not it... effective creating a negative pressure in the crankcase, theoreticlly making it easier for the piston to go up and down..... im sure it makes more of a difference on bigger thumpers because of the air displacement....

Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Completely different.... his is just a vent, when you put a pcv valve in there it lets air out but not it... effective creating a negative pressure in the crankcase, theoreticlly making it easier for the piston to go up and down..... im sure it makes more of a difference on bigger thumpers because of the air displacement....
Wow, re-reading that, i sound really smart, like i actually know what im talking about.... [8D]

i guess i do kinda though....

Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm....would you notice a difference between doing the two mods I wonder? Also would it make sense to make the hole in the airbox bigger like most people do?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I would guess that the pcv would do more for performance... if you do the vent mod you will just be plugging that hole in the airbox.... but for the pcv you would want it as big as you could get it.... more air flow... The pcv would also help avoid water directly to the crancase in the event of an almost submerge... it will stop the water from going right in.... with the way it was stock, the water would go in the crankcase before the carby.....

Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. I might have to swap out the setup I got going now with this one! I dont like how tight the tubing makes putting the seat back on. Thanks alot for reviving this thread!!! My work is never done [8D].

time to hit the beach!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

beach? its like 50 degrees here and raining..... i wish i was at the beach....[>:]

Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

How would it compare to the nobrakes vent mod? Ya know, the one where you run a crankcase vent to the top and plug off the port in the airbox?
The vent mod is mostly to do two things - 1) create a larger vent hole so the air in/out is not restricted so much, and 2) keep the nasty oily engine belching vapors out of your carburetor.

The PCV mod is designed to let air out of the crank case but not let it back in, that way the crankcase is actually under a little vacuum. So the size of the opening is a whole lot less important (since no air is flowing through it), and the vacuum inside means the engine is not expending any extra energy pushing and pulling air out and back into the crankcase, so you get that energy back in performance. The two mods are independent of each other, and there's no reason can't PCV and reroute+vent at the same time.

But if you do the PCV mod, you might want to change out the valve every so often. If it gums up and sticks, you'll have no crankcase venting and that may blow out some seals.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

you had me fooled...lolj/k[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Wow, re-reading that, i sound really smart, like i actually know what im talking about.... [8D]

i guess i do kinda though....

Quick Reply: As Promised - My Latest Mod