Problem with Clarke tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Problem with Clarke tank

I've had my Clarke tank on now for a week or two. Last weekend, I went off road and today I noticed a drop of gas on the garage floor when I got home from work. Followed it back to some seepage around the brass fittings.

When I removed the fuel filters from the stock tank and installed them on the Clarke tank, I re-used the o-rings and took special care not to overtighten the fittings.

So I got in there with a wrench and tightened the fittings a tad, thinking that they might have loosened up with the offroading. Wrong answer. The leaking got worse and I couldn't find the "sweet spot" to where they wouldn't leak again.

So I'm off to the dealer to get these two parts:

92055-1386 o-ring ID=9.5
92055-1387 o-ring 11.5x1.5

If you considering getting a Clarke, I recommend installing new o-rings when you do the swap -- you might save yourself some trouble.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Problem with Clarke tank

Turns out the tank itself is defective, replaced the o-rings and clamps -- it's still leaking. Looks like its seeping out around the brass fittings.

Sent Clarke an email, waiting to hear what they have to say.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi there, I just ordered a Clarke tank and I'm waiting for it. I saw your pic. Have you tried a teflon tape or a thread sealent? It's kinda hard to tell from the pic. Hope you get it fixed.

Kevin

Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

thread sealand should solve the problem. teflon tape is not harmed by gasoline. if you clean and dry the threads first you could also use threadlock

Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you tighten the fittings too much? I know in the directions it said not to over tighten.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmar

Did you tighten the fittings too much? I know in the directions it said not to over tighten.
ORIGINAL: mooredan
took special care not to overtighten the fittings.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Garry.

Yes, I realize that overtightening the fittings will mush the o-ring and it won't seal correctly.

After getting new orings and swapping out the clamps, I did use teflon tape on the threads.

I appears that the leak is not coming from the connection at the brass fitting but from where the fitting joins into the plastic itself.

Haven't heard from Clarke yet, I'm ready to give them a call.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Surprized they don't reccomend rectoseal or some other sealant going from brass to plastic being dissimilar materials.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Clarke sent me an email today and gave me a RA # for returning the tank. Over the weekend I replaced the o-rings again and used some thread sealant this time instead of teflon tape. I wanted to be sure that the leak wasn't my fault. Initially, it looked to be OK and there wasn't any leaking, but this morning I could smell gasoline when I went into the garage. Sure enough, it was leaking again.

So I drained the tank and disassembled the fittings. One thing that I noticed was that even with the fittings removed, there was still some seeping of gasoline around the fitting (where it joins the plastic) from residual gasoline trapped in the plastic. I would wipe away the gas and it would just "bubble" back up -- weird.

Got the stock tank back on (glad that I didn't sell it) (at least it's not leaking too)and will box up the Clarke tank tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Good luck

Quick Reply: Problem with Clarke tank