Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin

A very common modification to the ignition circuit is to disable the sidestand kill switch. The intent of the switch is to prevent the rider accidentally taking off with the side stand down but it's prone to failure from dirt & moisture over time which results in a bike that won't run. It's not my intention to document removal of the switch as that's discussed at length on other threads, but rather to point out the risk of leaving the little pin on the side stand exposed after the switch has been removed. The pin has a head on it which is situated just right to catch the cuff of the riders' pant leg preventing him from getting a foot down.

The hazard of leaving this pin in place is likely just as obvious to others as it is to me, but if this thread prevents one KLX ending up on its side, it was worth it.

Below pics illustrate the pin & its removal...

Attached Thumbnails Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin-1.jpg   Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin-2.jpg   Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin-3.jpg   Prevent a Dump by Removing the Sidestand Kill Switch Pin-4.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Now, why didn't I think of that? Good idea, for those of us that choose to ditch the switch.