preparing klx for winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Default preparing klx for winter storage

Hello!
I'm new here so I hope You will help me with some advice. I bought new 09 klx 250s but unfortunatelly had a chance to do about 60 miles . I don't think I will manage to break in the bike this season. How to prepare the bike for winter storage? (remove oil, change oil, remove petrol or leave it full, remove battery or not, start the engine several times during winter or not)?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

all i do is remove battery and charge a few times during the winter, and use a gas stabilizer thats good for ethanol fuel. never a problem.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

60 miles? It's already broken in!!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Leave the oil in it.
Drain all of the gas from the carb.
Sta-Bil in the tank is a good idea.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You've got a lot of riding season left!! I put sta-bil in my gas and put it on a battery tender. I start it (and ride it ) a few times through out the off season too.
Name:  IMG_5738.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

full gas tank!! the tank is metal.. if not full condensation can occur resulting in internal rust!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If I lived in a place where I couldn't ride all year I would get a horse. Like was mentioned, full tank, stabil if you want, but I really don't see the need. Shut off the gas, either run out or drain the carb, and its ready for the next startup be that in a week, a month or 6 months. I would get a battery maintainer, and just put it on 24 hours every week. So just one day a week. You can wire in an easy connect plug right to the battery, or use the alligator clips.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Head south my friend.....Way south.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Head south my friend.....Way south.
What he said.

Winter is riding season in these parts. No summer T-storms, no 101% humidity, etc, etc. Biggest problem is blue hair snow birds, no hearing, sight or reaction times, driving late model land yachts in blissfull ignorance.

I'm with Deej, if I couldn't ride for six months out of the year I'd get a horse. Maybe a red one, from Milan, with 500BHP or so. Winter, bah humbug..

On the other hand, if I had to deal with it these guys are right. Full tank, empty carb, battery tender. And a ride at least once a month, rain, snow or shine.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
What he said.

Winter is riding season in these parts. No summer T-storms, no 101% humidity, etc, etc. Biggest problem is blue hair snow birds, no hearing, sight or reaction times, driving late model land yachts in blissfull ignorance.

I'm with Deej, if I couldn't ride for six months out of the year I'd get a horse. Maybe a red one, from Milan, with 500BHP or so. Winter, bah humbug..

On the other hand, if I had to deal with it these guys are right. Full tank, empty carb, battery tender. And a ride at least once a month, rain, snow or shine.
You know I live in Canada and sometimes I really don't know why I'm still here..................if it wasn't for snowboarding. I think I would go mental.

Quick Reply: preparing klx for winter storage