Premium Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by klx678
Mine doesn't ping and I don't lose any power so I save that buck and buy use it for a cup of coffee and a donut.
So you're not buying your coffee from Starbuck's?

Old 07-08-2020, 04:03 PM

on my klx, refueling rarely takes over a gallon, and pumping hitest after somebody pumped lotest at best gives you a 50-50 mix of the 2. pumps weren't made for these bikes..

Old 07-08-2020, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ned37
on my klx, refueling rarely takes over a gallon, and pumping hitest after somebody pumped lotest at best gives you a 50-50 mix of the 2. pumps weren't made for these bikes..
I never even thought of this...

Old 07-08-2020, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
So you're not buying your coffee from Starbuck's?
Star who?

Keurig or from some gas station, like Speedway if I buy it.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ned37
Do the research, apparently maybe a pint in the hoses if that. There was a big discussion on it I think in the ADVrider forums. ;click
Plus with the hoses that are mounted high, the gas in that hose will drain out virtually empty. On the old style pumps of the 70s it was possible to have the hose full. I remember guys would take the hose, before filling, and drain it on the ground, mostly to keep the gas from dripping on the tank.

Last edited by klx678; 07-08-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Star who?

Keurig or from some gas station, like Speedway if I buy it.
Me either...LOL! Mr. Coffee and no foo-foo flavored coffees...black.

You're right on the gas pump hose volume issue. It may be possible to run into some ancient pump in a podunk area that still retains some fuel in the hose, many/most states and even the EPA had some issue on this. It's been years since I read up on it, but it still applies.

While not a motorcycle, the same principles apply on my late model Ram hemi as it applies to octane. When my truck is empty it can run 87 octane all day long. Hook up my travel trailer and mid-grade 88/89 or so is almost required. Even paying attention to shift points and rpm when towing, if it lugs just a hair before shifting I will frequently hear subtle detonation. It's impressive how that tiny bump in octane eliminates that.

As I understand it many/most combustion chambers improve flame front, fuel atomization, and fuel ignition as rpm increases...the same reason some of my ZX14 drag racing friends are able to run regular for their dragstrip runs. There is no "lugging" in that scenario. Even though most all modern engines have a knock sensor, the ECU can control timing only within its envelope.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Plus I doubt there's much lugging with 170 hp at the rear wheel on a 590 lb missile!

Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I would bet there is more than a pint in those hoses.

TNC, I think in your truck the pinging may be due to spark advance, plus I think they run cars pretty lean too, you should rejet it!

Just be sure when you pull into the gas station, get behind a corvette! !!!!

Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I would bet there is more than a pint in those hoses.

TNC, I think in your truck the pinging may be due to spark advance, plus I think they run cars pretty lean too, you should rejet it!

Just be sure when you pull into the gas station, get behind a corvette! !!!!
I'm not going to waste my time jetting my hemi. I'm just going with eight 36mm Mikuni pumper carbs. That should do it.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah! stacks through the hood?

Quick Reply: Premium Fuel?