Premium Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Default Premium Fuel?

Is using Premium Fuel in my KLX250 worth it? Or will it actually damage my engine?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdamTher
Is using Premium Fuel in my KLX250 worth it? Or will it actually damage my engine?
My dealer told me to use hi-test "91" in my 2012 KLX 250s and also my old 2006 KLX 250s.

From spec sheet:
Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded OK
Coolant 50% distilled water /50% ethylene glycol base antifreeze.

Stashu

Last edited by Stashu; 04-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I do alway use premium fuel on my KLX. Top grade gas will help to keep engine cool and much cleaner than regular gas.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

One more time:

"PREMIUM" fuel does not mean it is of the highest quality. There are MANY fuels labeled "Regular unleaded" that are far superior in QUALITY to MANY fuels labeled "Premium". "Premium" is NOT a quality rating.

The ONLY reason to use a Research-Octane rating higher than the compression ratio dictates in a given engine is if the fuel delivery/spark timing system of a particular engine can take advantage of such fuel, OR, to TEMPORARILY prevent some kinds of pre-detonation as those caused by hot carbon tendril deposits. Carburated thumpers are not capable of utilizing any benefits of higher Octane fuels, unless the compression ratio dictates the need to use such fuel.

OTHERWISE, you are just wasting money, and MAY be sacrificing good fuel quality in order to buy often-times inferior quality fuels with the misleading label of Premium.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

This engine already runs hot in stock condition, turning the header blue riding normally. The original valve cover gasket shrank when checking the valve clearance, requiring a new one before buttoning up the top end. That and the raised compression ratio of the big bore kit over the oem displacement. The extra .60 cents (.20 cents per gallon) seems like a good idea to help lower operating temps.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM

lol so your header was blue with heat?? jesus so much for liquid cooled...

Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
One more time:

"PREMIUM" fuel does not mean it is of the highest quality. There are MANY fuels labeled "Regular unleaded" that are far superior in QUALITY to MANY fuels labeled "Premium". "Premium" is NOT a quality rating.

The ONLY reason to use a Research-Octane rating higher than the compression ratio dictates in a given engine is if the fuel delivery/spark timing system of a particular engine can take advantage of such fuel, OR, to TEMPORARILY prevent some kinds of pre-detonation as those caused by hot carbon tendril deposits. Carburated thumpers are not capable of utilizing any benefits of higher Octane fuels, unless the compression ratio dictates the need to use such fuel.

OTHERWISE, you are just wasting money, and MAY be sacrificing good fuel quality in order to buy often-times inferior quality fuels with the misleading label of Premium.
Ill take that into consideration, thanks.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 AM

Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel (see heating value). It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner.

Source: Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Seems it has more of an effect than im lead to believe.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

My 2009 manual says 87 (RON+MON/2)

Old 07-03-2020, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I read somewhere that KLX's were made to run on regular so that's what I put in in. I always try to go to Chevron or shell to get good quality gas. Should I be running Premium?

Quick Reply: Premium Fuel?