Powerbomb Header Finish - buff it yourself!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkltucson
So, how long will that last?
Bet it starts turning in a short period of time.

Nice job though.....
it will last a few months, if it turns, i will put on the polished megabomb and polish up the powerbomb..

Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
it will last a few months, if it turns, i will put on the polished megabomb and polish up the powerbomb..
Sience you have ridden with the two off them on the same bike could you tell me what differences are between the two as far as power , power delivery and noise is concered and how big are this differences ?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

MR.P RE that heat shielding, did it come with the pipe? Or did you make it/buy it seperatly?
Cheers, Jim

Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.P

threadjackasaurus....this should match the SF good tho...

You've convinced me. I went down a gravel road a few weeks ago, that had just been sprayed to keep the dust down. I have no idea what they sprayed it with, but it made everything steel on my bike rusty, including the rear section of pipe. I think I'll paint it black. What paint did you use, anything special? Is there a high heat semi-gloss/matte black paint available?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately, the 2000 degree "header paint" is already starting to flake off....

I think it should be ceramic or powder or jet coated. As cool as it looks, it only looks like it will last a week or two before it looks like crap...I preheated all the parts before painting and put 2 good coats of primer and 2 of the header paint. Still wont stick to the stainless and i had cleaned it with gasoline and alchohol and scuffed it up.

I am probably going to cut the FMF 4" or so down shorter so it doesnt stick all the way to the liscence plate, when i do that i will choose how to finish it, but ceramic coating sounds like the way to go.

Dont follow my lead it didnt last but a single day of riding.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marcelino
Sience you have ridden with the two off them on the same bike could you tell me what differences are between the two as far as power , power delivery and noise is concered and how big are this differences ?
Yes i did, the megabomb is better down low and in all aspects. but it burns my pants and is so thin that it glows red hot.. I like how the powerbomb looks and doesnt burn my pants but the megabomb produces slightly more horsepower

Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.P
Unfortunately, the 2000 degree "header paint" is already starting to flake off....

I think it should be ceramic or powder or jet coated. As cool as it looks, it only looks like it will last a week or two before it looks like crap...I preheated all the parts before painting and put 2 good coats of primer and 2 of the header paint. Still wont stick to the stainless and i had cleaned it with gasoline and alchohol and scuffed it up.

I am probably going to cut the FMF 4" or so down shorter so it doesnt stick all the way to the liscence plate, when i do that i will choose how to finish it, but ceramic coating sounds like the way to go.

Dont follow my lead it didnt last but a single day of riding.
Do you have a buffing wheel? If you used a wire wheel to get off the paint and rust then buffed it it would look good

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe it was because you primed it. High heat paint should stick fine to SS, as long as you give it a good scuff. It worked on the header and exhaust on my car OK>

Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i bet its the primer that melted

Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The primer was the hi heat primer for the paint. I followed the instructions very carefully. Including the heating of the parts before priming. It does not seem to get red hot or anything of the sort...I used the CHEAP hi temp/header paint from autozone...I really think that is the problem. Or possibly 14-15 hours was not enough time to let it dry.