Power Bomb or Mega Bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Default Power Bomb or Mega Bomb?

I'm new here and just picked up a 2012 KLX250s as a second bike to my Ducati 848EVO. Thus far I love it and it has exceeded my expectations. The original owner installed a FMF Power Core slip-on but did not change the header, airbox or jetting. Going forward, I plan to remedy all of this, but was wondering what the best header pipe is....Power Bomb or Mega Bomb?

Please give me your thoughts & thanks for a great forum!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

well technically the mega bomb makes the most power right? ... if that's what your looking for.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it the Power Bomb or the Mega that moves the torque down the RPM curve as well as increasing it?

Depends on how the bike is going to be used.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM

I am interested in more power in the low end and mid range. Wasn't sure if one pipe was better for that and the other for top end, etc. Just want to get it right the first time and wanted to get some feedback before the purchase...

Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Mega bomb for your needs then

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

The mega bomb will deliver more low/mid torque & also will allow the bike to rev higher as the header pipe is less restrictive than stock. The bonus of a mega bomb is it will lower the noise levels by a few decibels & sound a little deeper. I have riden my bike back to back with stock header & megabomb, it felt smoother & had more torque in my seat of pants experiment.

There is some issues with weld quality & i had to get my megabomb re tig welded after a year, where the header attaches to the bomb.(a hairline crack that was whistling a bit). No biggy & it's ok now.

Downside is it gets very hot being thin stainless steel & it physically sits about 2''inches closer to your leg!! It will melt your trousers or burn your skin without a heat shield.

This pro-carbon heat shield I bought from ebay works great. In Thailand we mostly ride in shorts etc (squids.....i know) & I have touched my bare leg on it 30+ times & it never felt any hotter than warm! basically it has paid for itself 30+ times IMHO.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 01-27-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the FMF shield for mine and it works well too. I wouldnt ride it without a heat shield. That pipe gets hot

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

While I agree the the mega bomb is maybe the better choice.

For my 2 cents, I have had zero issues with mine. It is thin stainless but mine hasn't cracked (yet, knock on wood).

Also, maybe I sit different, but mine doesn't have a shield and I have never had any issues with it burning my leg. I once threw my backpack over the handle bars and burned on of the straps, and have burned my fingers once or twice while playing with the carb, but never while riding.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks for all of the input. It sounds like the Mega Bomb is the way to go... Once I get it in and installed/ jetted I will give an update....... Next Tires!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Again, why didn't anyone phone FMF and ask them which of their headers is best for your use and why it's the best choice? I wanted to buy a head pipe so, of course I first went to several blogs to find out what klx owners were buying. Lot's of conflicting info. Then the little light bulb came on and I thought "I'll phone FMF and ASK THEM! Thank god I made my head pipe choice because of my talk with this man. He asked me what I was trying to do and spoke about what they saw on their dyno. Once you get to FMF on the phone a recording tells you what # to press for technical asst. It was fun. I learned something that was never discussed in the blogs. Go look a the FMF factory tour on youtube. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by duncanblake; 01-28-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Jack Daniels

Quick Reply: Power Bomb or Mega Bomb?