Post Smog Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Post Smog Removal Question

I finally got around to removing the smog equipment from my '09 KLX last night. Something I noticed--when we tilted the gas tank on it's side and removed the blue and red vent lines, gas started pouring out of one of them (can't remember which one--blue or red dot). It wasn't just leaking, it was pouring out like it could drain the tank. When we turned the tank back level, it would stop. We hooked up the new vent lines. Same thing--when the tank was on it's side, gas would pour out one of the vent lines, but not when level. So this has me wondering. What if I drop my bike on it's side? Is gas going to pour out? The logical thing would be to pick the bike up quickly, but I am small and light, have back issues, and generally have difficulty picking up the bike myself. My husband is always nearby when we're riding, so he can always help me get the bike back upright, but would my tank be half empty by the time he came to help?

So what I'm wondering is--is is really necessary to have three vent lines on the tank? What is the purpose? My dad thought maybe the red and blue vents could be looped together, and that the other vent line would be enough. But he said something about possible check valves and other things that might not allow such a setup. I'm sure many, if not most, of you have removed the smog stuff too, so what can you tell me about the vent lines?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike only has two vent lines. You can thank the great state of California for the third. I am not sure what it does. Maybe the gas is flowing out of the tank from the mysterious third line? The two that I have are grey with stripes, but I can’t remember what color they are. Those are for venting the tank when the carb needs gas otherwise it would create a vacuum and your bike will stall. So do not plug those off.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
My bike only has two vent lines. You can thank the great state of California for the third. I am not sure what it does. Maybe the gas is flowing out of the tank from the mysterious third line? The two that I have are grey with stripes, but I can’t remember what color they are. Those are for venting the tank when the carb needs gas otherwise it would create a vacuum and your bike will stall. So do not plug those off.
Thanks for the info. Just in case this might help others that may reply, I have 3 vent lines. One is marked with a blue dot under the tank (black hose), one is marked with a red dot (black hose), and the third is a larger vent (not marked with a dot), and it has a grey hose. The one that drains fuel when the tank is on it's side is either the blue dot one or the red dot. I'm not with the bike right now, so can't check.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem of what seems like excessive fuel flow from the vent line after CA smog rwmoval. The tank is already too small and to see fuel leaking out the vent is diconcerting. Thinking about plugging the vents and venting from the cap, but that "smog" cap seems complicated.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

This is probably why my miliage is only 50 to 52mpg, as my bike will literally run out of gas at 103 miles. Every time I fill up, 0.2 galons ends up on the ground from what it looks like. I'd get better if the gas stayed in the tank!!!!

Can't wait for the IMS tank as that will solve the issue for sure. Lots more gas in and I doubt it will drip out of their tank.

In the mean time, let me know what happens if you cap the line or lines that leak. I have not done that since I was told the bike won't run. My friend has said he capped only one of the lines and left the other open and his bike runs fine. He can't remember which color line he capped and he is too lazy to look and tell me. Ugh.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I haven't filled up my tank yet since doing the smog removal, but from what you guys are saying, it sounds like it's probably going to leak gas when I top it off, which is what I was afraid of. I'm almost wondering if I should just re-install the mini charcoal can (not sure what it's really called!) that mounts below the left side of the tank and reconnect the vent lines to it. But then I'm not sure if that will work, with the main charcoal can removed.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The only lines you need going to that tank are the fuel out and the air vent line. The rest is crap and can be plugged. You will need to figure out which of the vaccum hose looking lines provide inlet air and which can be capped off.

It is not acceptable to be dumping 0.2 gallons of fuel on the ground.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I talked to Bill at B&B Cycle Restoration, and evidentally the line I was asking about is not a vent line. It's an overflow. That's why when the tank is tipped on it's side, gas pours out. He said that the only way it should overflow when the tank is filled up is if you overfill the tank. I think the manual does say not to fill to the top, because it may overflow if you do. He didn't recommend capping the overflow. He also said that he wasn't 100% familiar with the California models, but that he was pretty sure it was the overflow line I was talking about. So I guess I will fill up and see what happens. And if I drop the bike, I will try to get it upright quicker.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

California...classic. Soon you will get a ticket for farting. (rolling eyes)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I see no reason that capping the overflow would hurt anything. So long as the tank is vented to allow expansion and to allow air in to replace the exiting fuel. Kinda like a fuel cap, that's a big overflow, but we still tend to close the cap before riding.