Post "free mods" report : My veresion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
it's a screen; what's the point in removing it? isn't air going to flow thru it as if it's not there anyways? it's logic that it will.
he's worried about being legal but then talks about a 300 exhaust with no buttplug which means no spark arrestor which means big ticket if a ranger is intelligent.
Name:  Spok.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  11.0 KB

Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

It completely amazes me how every single mod thread is turned into a slamfest from one single person,you know,you are correct,this is the internet but you should really take your own advice and STFU already. Oh yea,I wouldn't pm you for advice either,I'd be asking NB or one of the others that actually rides and keeps their bike.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
In reference to where the hoses and wires are run:

I wouldn't striaght blame Kawasaki for all of it. I know my local delaer has the low man on the Totem poll assembling bikes, which is usually the newest flunkie in the shop. Case in point: The battery cables were installed all wrong on my bike when the manual clearly showed them attached and ran another way. Same with a lot of the hoses; the guy that assembled my bike out of the crate did a poor job of routing some of the stuff. Its unfortnate that sometimes we pay "dealer fees" and end up doing half of the dealer's job.
not sure I'm following you here; the bikes come pretty much assembled sans the front wheel and handlebars. what hoses do you think the newbie misrouted? I can see the battery cables being backwards, but that's an honest mistake most anyone could make, even the professional mechanic. everything else is in place from kawi from the docks.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Got to take the cycle out for a better ride today. Put over 20 miles on it. I have to say I'm more impressed with it now than with the 1-3 miles I put on it testing it out after assembly. I'm the most impressed in high gear. I was in 6th and was reving to 7 grand no problem and it was still pulling and I was at 70+mph indicated. I also noticed it accelerates enough to keep the bike tilted back at an angle. As in, if I had the 12 or 14T CS on it may even "pap" a wheeeeelie. Or at least try to. I almost managed to find a dealer with a new plug, and I got two more main jets. Picked up a Keihn 135 and a 137.5 to go along with the rest. So now when I get around to it after taking a bit of a rest and paying attention to how the bike runs I'll take the tank back off, check the plug and see how its burning and adjust accordingly. Then take a guess how much more petro it will need to remove the airbox lid totally. What do you think? 132.5 .. 135 ? Guess Ill find out.

I'm still thinking of putting the 13T CS on. Never thought I would say that because I ride more road and I like the gearing the way it is but I'm sick of how high 1st gear is. It's ridiculous. You go to pull out and its like your trying to pull out in 2nd gear on a normal bike. As your easing the clutch out its alright because techincally until the lever is all the way out its still engaged and can slip a little. But when its full out and your still getting up to speed it doesn't have enough speed to go with its gearing and it wants to make that jump and the chain jerks and it seems like it wants to spin the wheel. But if its on pavement it can't. And when its on gravel or loose dirt it does spin for a split second. That and it is kinda hard to ride some of the trails when your minimum speed is 10mph. Its fine for most of the applications I find myself in. But theres that 10% of the time when its like "oh crap, wish my bike had lower gearing". Or maybe the bike just doesn't have enough bottom end. I don't know.

One problem I'm noticing it doing and it did this before the rejet. Is that its idle is changing. It can be as low as 1100 RPM clear up to 1800 RPM. I'll stop at a light one time and it will be idling at 1300 and the next time its 1100 and the next it will be 1500. I don't know whats up with that. Thats probably why the previous owner had it set for 2000 RPM so it would stay stable.
________
Grey'S Anatomy Forums

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Go the #135 if you've got a performance filter and thrown the airbox lid on the shelf.
Sounds like your pilot circuit is too rich or you have an air leak, (the idle prob') I,m leaning towards too rich. You've upped the pilot to a #38 and still have the OE muffler (Did you remove the "but plug" on the standard muffler?) If not I suggest the #35 pilot a better choice for the plugged OE muffler (set the fuel screw accordingly.)
Idle should be steady at 1250-1350 RPM.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 09-24-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hokie01
It completely amazes me how every single jetting or exhaust mod thread is turned into a slamfest from one single person,
Bro how do you think he got the "Muffler King" title, he lives for this crap. Sprockets, jets and mufflers for almost 3 years ..... that's it thou...no real mods and he never seems to get over 500 miles on his bike.... but hey it's comedy.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
it's a screen; what's the point in removing it? isn't air going to flow thru it as if it's not there anyways?
I'll tee one up.

Iowa take a screen off a window in your house, put it in front of a fan (note the fan needs to be on ) and feel the force it takes to push the air through it. aka a mod.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
wow, I think Lithium is what is needed here, or perhaps Tincture of Laudanum
Ah, another historian here. Perhaps he needs the original formula for Coca-Cola....

Old 09-24-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I was just trying to make the point that not every little mis-engineered section of hose or wire is Kawasaki Heavy Industry's fault. Maybe the guy in Japan ran the hoses wierd. Its a 50-state legal bike, its gonna be clogged with hoses and wires illogically ran in an effort for legality.

OT: Mod threads are largely personal opinion. Unless a dyno is used, power gains are entirely SOTP. Not very surprising they often turn into shouting matches between conflicting opinions. Luckily we do get lots of information from them Long as nobody lets their feelings get hurt.

Let's lighten the mood.
Name:  facepalm.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  31.8 KB

Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Go the #135 if you've got a performance filter and thrown the airbox lid on the shelf.
Sounds like your pilot circuit is too rich or you have an air leak, (the idle prob') I,m leaning towards too rich. You've upped the pilot to a #38 and still have the OE muffler (Did you remove the "but plug" on the standard muffler?) If not I suggest the #35 pilot a better choice for the plugged OE muffler (set the fuel screw accordingly.)
Idle should be steady at 1250-1350 RPM.
More than just a small edit. Sorry for the repost.

Quick Reply: Post "free mods" report : My veresion