Possible klx250s purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Possible klx250s purchase

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]Actually, I had a bet going. Thanks for the 20 bucks.

Bike rack 3:30![sm=violent053.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 06-26-2007, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Jslam,i'm about an hour south of you and have buddies with dualsports that love to take road trips on the weekends.Two of us have the klx one has the drz and one has the ktm so one more in the pack is always welcome. Plameau and Iowa come on guys, do we need to stick you two in a room together with really big sticks until you get along.LOL just kidding I look forwards to the banter everyday and laugh my **** off at the wit. thanks guys

Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Sorry, just wanted to keep the negativity outa the post (and blundered by expressing some myself, darnit!). Went for some longer singletrack/ATV trail rides this weekend, Ive GOT to wake this thing up. I was going to wait for the "kawi breakin" period, but no way!! Exhaust, jetting, crankcase vent mods to come. Anyone thats done the HMF slip on, what jets did you "personally" use?? I cant imagine that the jetting HMF uses on their website is exactly correct (if it is, it definitley emphasizes the difference in stock vs. aftermarket header pipes and restrictions), dont want to start immediately lean, you know!!?? I also was impressed at the suspension capablities, wasnt expecting as much as it gave me (gotta dial in the sag for myweight and try again!!). I was afraid to air down too much (as some road driving was neccessary to get me home!!), kinda glad I didnt though, I messed up twice, and tagged a couple of rocks at speed with the front (one bitch I have is that the front seems out of synch with the back, its more apparent to me that there are VERY different spring rates, rather than one or the other being too soft), and I would have come home with a dented front rim at the desired 15 PSI. I ordered up the Utah skid after tagging the frame right below the engine coming up over some large rocks as well. I would like to keep my bike strictly street legal, but Im also on the hunt for some smaller signals that dont stick out as far/have flexier stalks, and some MUCH smaller mirrors (I can twist my head around!!). All inall, I am impressed, just have the need for asome more power. It does, however, really suck on the pavement (keep in mind, I am a sportbike guy at heart, so I probalby wouldnt be happy no matter what!!), I just try and use that as windown time!!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Name:  handlebars002.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  handlebars004.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  xmas06005.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  62.0 KB

Old 06-26-2007, 03:45 PM

Wish I could see those pics at work (darn filters!)!! Also, with just rejet/HMF slip on, what would you do to the airbox (kx snorkel, no snorkel, drilled cover, no cover with a filter precleaner cover??)

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i recently took my air box lid off... and adjusted the air fuel screw to just 2 turns out instead of 2.5... and it runs alot better!!!
but with the lid off you get a "hollow" intake noise....

Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are making it "strictly" street legal I'd say regear it, it is "only" a 250. Patrick said it best when we were in Jersey, a 250 is NOT going to be able to cruise the street and play hard in the dirt at the same time. Pick one route and go with it. I have the 13 tooth up front and its still tolerable to get the 15 miles to work but makes it much better on the trails. Combining the higher revs with my 80/20 dirt tires I get more buzzing through the bars and it aggravates the carpal tunnel in my right hand on the pavement, ie 10 or so miles and my hand starts going numb. But in the dirt I can go a couple hours with no problem.

The stock gearing had me running too high in one gear and bogging in the next when in the dirt. The 13 tooth shifts the rpm just enough that I am a gear higher than usual and its right on the edge of the powerband. However I do occasionally look for 7th gear on the street

Old 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

If you are making it "strictly" street legal I'd say regear it, it is "only" a 250. Patrick said it best when we were in Jersey, a 250 is NOT going to be able to cruise the street and play hard in the dirt at the same time. Pick one route and go with it. I have the 13 tooth up front and its still tolerable to get the 15 miles to work but makes it much better on the trails. Combining the higher revs with my 80/20 dirt tires I get more buzzing through the bars and it aggravates the carpal tunnel in my right hand on the pavement, ie 10 or so miles and my hand starts going numb. But in the dirt I can go a couple hours with no problem.

The stock gearing had me running too high in one gear and bogging in the next when in the dirt. The 13 tooth shifts the rpm just enough that I am a gear higher than usual and its right on the edge of the powerband. However I do occasionally look for 7th gear on the street
just to add to his post........ alot of people run 13/45 gearing and say its good for street and dirt..... but you have to buy a new chain.....

Old 06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Um if you are running the Muzzy you can't hear the air box intake noise. As far as all the comments in this post, ( just now read this thread as I was out of town for a while) While I am not the Moderator...yet, I will say this, Where's the love? No not in a broke back way, I mean the love of the game...riding, comparing notes, sharing ideas, and just generally enjoying helping others and being helped on this great forum. This really has become tiresome reading all off the bickering, and before anyone says well they said or he said, why don't we just try to ignore, and that goes both ways. Iowa to you I say, try to ignore the voice in your head that tells you to post stuff in a negative way. I have read posts from you that were helpful, and funny, I know you can do it, I've seen it before, and while I know that you are a don't beat around the bush kind of a guy, sometimes there is a better way to state the obvious, and not commenting can also speak volumes. And to all of the guys that post negative stuff towards Iowa, how about ignoring the temptation to insert a rebuttal into every post. I'm not saying to ignore each other, otherwise we might lose some really good stuff here. But how about we just take it down a notch, and remember why we all came to love this site, this section and the great resource that can only be found here.

I remember the first few weeks of the 250 Section and thought to my self OMG I have found something really cool, and I want to share this great place with everyone I know, and I still do, however it is getting somewhat embarrassing when new members come on here and realize there are some issues here, or that old (not old in a bad way) members are shying away from here. I can remember when I was part of a Battlefield 1942 clan on-line and things seemed to work out well for a long time until we started letting younger and younger members into the clan, and while that dynamic brought some good skill to the game,it also came with a certain element that became less and less desirable as the days went on. And in fact ultimately became the demise of the clan. Now in our case its not young members in our KLX "clan" that are a problem, but it is younger immature attitudes that have added a blemish to our area, and that is something that will not work around here anymore.I fell into the argument game once or twice, and then realized I was being less than courteous and was truly embarrassed for myself, so trust me I always keep in mind the old saying that when you pointa finger atsomeone, just remember there are three pointing back at you.I implore all members in this section to take pride in what we have here and put forth the effort to rise above arguments and name calling in order to show the rest of the community whether it be old members or new ones just finding this awesome place that we are a great bunch of people that can get along as we continue to enjoy this sport that brought us all together. I hope the rest of the posts in here will reflect what I am trying to say, and I hope nobody takes offense to this, as I am only trying to find a better way, because no matter what happens, at the end of the day, its only a forum, on the Internet, its not the most important thing in the world.

Quick Reply: Possible klx250s purchase