Possible klx250s purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Default Possible klx250s purchase

Ive read numerous threads you guys have posted about these machines,and its competitors, and Ive got a few questions:
1 Reliability?? (read a few negative comments from one user on thumpertalk that reports WAY premature valve failure for a relatively low strung/low tech engine (which is why I am drawn to it!!), is this true??)
2 I am NOTa motorcrosser, VERY experienced on the street, track days and years of riding, not so much in the dirt, spent the last few weeks on my buddys rm125 2 smoke, can handle it pretty well, but I try to lug it in the woods, and 2 smokes DONT like that..........pretty reasonable power otherwise to redline, some on an older xr500r, bored out, etc, too much power, TOOO heavy, and spent a little time at the local dealer on a YXF450F they have for a steal (itsa 2004), but its WAY too much for me (shoulda seen the smile on the mechanics face when he called me a "kitty" to push me to hit the jump faster, and I dug in on the first berm after and grabbed a handful of front brake entering the corner (lack of dirt experience) and ate it.................cant do it (plus dual sporting it is stupid for lotsa reasons).....So now Im looking at this.
3 I still want the suspension to handle me jumping it 6 feet?? Will it?? (Im 6'5",and about 180)
4 Im going to jump on it, and occasionally go "searching" for logging roads, etc, may end up with some serious roadmiles over the years
5 What combo of "bolt on" stuff will wake it up best at sea level here on the north east coast, (exhaust, jets, airbox mods) without affecting long term reliablity, and is best for my riding (gonna need as much Umph on road as possible just to appease "some" of my older habit, and not be high strung offroad, as Ive stated I have to hone those skills!!)
6 I "believe" I can get one OTD for 4500....................

Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Possible klx250s purchase

The vavletrain issues are for the KLX300, it has a more agressive timing I believe, higher compression too maybe? There are many KLX's here with 7000+ miles on them in the first year. I personally have 4300 miles on mine. I had to ADJUST the valves earlier than the manual states but thats a relatively simple procedure if you can read the service manual and turn a wrench.

Stock the KLX is a bit weak offroad but that's also a blessing because if you slip or get out of shape and accidently whack the throttle its not going to throw you off the back like a race 250 or 450 would. I have the mods listed in my signature and a 13 tooth front sprocket and still commute 15 miles of pavement to work daily and hit the trails on the way home. With these mods its a fun offroad bike, I haven't jumped it much but I believe if you get around 3-4 feet vertical without a landing ramp it will bottom out HARD! The suspension is soft for dual sporting but it can be reworked to suit you.

Dollar for dollar a used KLX 300 headpipe and muffler will wake the bike up quite a bit, with this you must rejet the carb and may as well remove the snorkel to get some more air in. The stock exhaust has a .5 inch outlet, the KLX 300 has a 1.5 inch outlet and lets the bike breathe much much better. Its not as nice as say a Two Brother's but can be had for about 1/3 the price and you are giving up very little peak HP with it as well. That being said, I plan to go with a Bill Blue (he's a member here) 331 overbore this winter to get some more UMPH as you put it.

BTW where on the NE coast are you?

Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 AM

Southern coastal Maine. Bottoms that easy, huh?? I guess stiffer springs/valving will be in my future. I just cant see spending 6200 on a wr250f with and additional 500 in dual sport equipment on this. The only thing Ive read that really dissapoints me in the specs are the low oil capacity. Im glad its got about 2 quarts, its double the capacity of say wr250/450s, but it still will see road use, so I am concerned with this. Ive seen a post listing 30 horsepower with stock displacement/cams, so it seems like the right choice for me. The initial purchase price seems good too. Are the forks/rear shocks good enough pieces to mess with valving/respring (hoping, becasue there is little point to swapping these things, otherwise Id buy the wr250!!)

Old 06-21-2007, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

not to burst your bubble but a stock bike will be closer to 18 hp not 30. you should try and get a test ride before you buy one.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 AM

I don't really see the issue with the oil capacity. It's a single cylinder and a compact transmission and it only makes 20Hp at the crank on a good day. More oil capacity just increases maintenance costs and adds size and weight. The bike is also liquid cooled, so there's less heat loadingon the oil than an air cooled motor. A 600cc sportbike has about 3 quarts of oil... the KLX is around 1 quart. The KLX being 250cc and1 cylinder has about 1/2 - 1/3 the friction surfaces.. so it sounds about right to me. Also consider that the volume to surface are ratio increases with a smaller oil pan so a smaller volume of oil will cool more effeciently and warm-up more quickly. With an effecient oil cooler, you should get adequate oil performance. The only other issue will be the transmission and clutch.

I've taken the bike on a MX track and traisl only once, but other than poor performance form the tires, it did fine for me. I'm not a very aggressive rider.I mostly use it on backroads or for my short 3-4 mile commute to work.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 AM

It sounds like you are coming form the same background as I did. I have been riding street bikes for many years and still do. I love the low power of this bike off road because I like to explore trails and power-line roads and I get into tight situations and it is easy to man-handle and it won't put you on your as$ because of too much power. There are many things you will want to do to the bike just get it and start modding. Do a search each time you get ready and find the parts that suites your needs. If you want to just 6' in the air you will have to do some suspension work. If you are just jumping 6-10' or more in distance then you will be fine. I weight a 170 and only bottom out when I just real high or land wrong. It does have a soft suspension which is nice on the road and slow trails.

This is a trail bike not an MX bike and that sounds like what you want. Making any off road bike is apain if not impossible. And if you think valve adjustment is a problem on one of these ask someone with an MX bike about valve adjustments and rebuilds.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Well..................I did it, bought it, rode it home. I havent determined a break in method, but............I know Im not staying under 43 miles an hour for 500 miles, not a chance!! I have to go to the mototune website, and see what it says. Got some Renthals, moose handgaurds, and an HMF slip on on the way. I couldnt determine what exact jets were in the dynojet kit at the dealer, so I thought Id do a little research here, and get EXACTLY what jets have worked for others with a slip on (HMF or 2 Bros). Gotta remeber to get the bigger kx snorkle too!!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jslamerman

Well..................I did it, bought it, rode it home. I havent determined a break in method, but............I know Im not staying under 43 miles an hour for 500 miles, not a chance!! I have to go to the mototune website, and see what it says. Got some Renthals, moose handgaurds, and an HMF slip on on the way. I couldnt determine what exact jets were in the dynojet kit at the dealer, so I thought Id do a little research here, and get EXACTLY what jets have worked for others with a slip on (HMF or 2 Bros). Gotta remeber to get the bigger kx snorkle too!!
Congrats! Enjoy the KLX! I did the easy break in for 500 miles and it was brutal. Finally hit 500 today and then started stage 2 break in(500 more miles under 6000RPMs). What a blast being able to do 65mph. I can't even imagine how cool it will to shift at redline. These are real fast bikes for what they are. I'll be comparing mine to a yz250 on Sunday.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

As for the suspension, I clank both ends every time I go out! This is after a revalve and heavy springs. Im 6'2" and a dainty 230lbs so I dont know if there is any thing else I can do suspension wise. I have had it on a moto track and have no problems with 30'to 40' doubles with a smooth transition on the landing. Step ups were nice and smooth. My problems are flat landing anything more than 6' of air. Eric may chime in with the stock springs...We were jumping this little 3-4 footer at Hatfield Mccoy (Eric the play track on the hill climb day by the campsites) I was catching 5-6' of air there and didnt bottlom out. I would look into front springs, it made a huge diffrence.

Quick Reply: Possible klx250s purchase