Polished Ports and Webcams.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Polished Ports and Webcams.

I am considering purchasing a slightly used head and sending it to LUKES RACING for some spit and polish. In addition the cams are for sale and this would be an opportunity to get them off to WEBCAMS for a weld and grind.

I pulled the trigger on the 330 KK, now just deciding, with your input, if it is worth going ahead with the whole 9 yards.

Any forum members used Lukes? results? Webcams?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
1st Gear Member

That's gonna make me very jealous Graham!!

Now it's my turn to throw a spanner in the works...lol If you gonna get a spit & polished head plus cams. Then it would seem churlish not to get some Kibblewhite oversize valves & spring kit!!!

The full Monty

EDIT: The only thing that restricts what you are attempting is the ignition timing!! Yet again the boys with carbs can buy a new aftermarket cdi with a nice little timing advance to complement all the engine work ......we with factory efi ecu's can only be envious. Not the end of the world Graham but slightly annoying eh!!

Last edited by JoelThailand; 04-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Joel, long time. Trust you to throw some more dollars in the mix.

But seriously, tell me about your views on the 101 grind. Worth the money.
Where is your power at with the 331 and webcams. My 300 pretty much signs off at 8K sharp, after pulling well between 5 and 8. I am hoping for a bit more grunt from the 331 kit, and maybe a few more revs from the Webcams.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
Hey Joel, long time. Trust you to throw some more dollars in the mix.

But seriously, tell me about your views on the 101 grind. Worth the money.
Where is your power at with the 331 and webcams.
The cams do restrict our bikes for sure, that's why just doing the marcelino cam mod makes a noticeable difference.

The webcam 101's: Quote from their webpage "Larry Roesler's favorite. Quick acceleration with plenty of mid and top end power".
I agree with their quote, my engine does seem to accelerate faster & for sure my power keeps coming until 9000rpm & even though the power is falling away after 9000+rpm it will keep pulling to 10000rpm in top gear, which is a little over 160kmh.

Like i've said before they are the icing on the cake. My friends 331 with an EJK controller just doesn't feel as snappy as mine & the power falls away after 8000rpm! Riding his bike (for me) is much harder when going fast when we swapped bikes as the power & torque is not where I expect it to be & i'm changing gear to late, way off the torque curve.

In reality I cannot noticeable outrun his bike but I stay in front easier. He has learn't to ride his torque differently to my bike. BUT my front wheel pulls up easier than his in 1st & 2nd & I my bike is a little quicker than his, even though I weigh 20kg more than him ......If I weighed 20kg less than him, my bike would absolutely destroy him in races!! To put things in perspective

so yes the webcams are worth getting IMO.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I just finished installing a 351 kit on my '12. I also did some porting while I had the head off-cleaned up the transition at the seats and smoothed the ports to the flanges. The head seems to have a decent 3 angle valve job from the factory and I also removed some material in the chamber that was shrouding the valves-nothing crazy just an attempt to improve flow at lower lift. I think that the exhaust port is going to be the choke point in this head-it has a very hard kink at the exit.
So, was it worth it??? The added displacement transformed the bike and I'm sure that the port work helped some but would I pay $$$ to have someone else do it? My answer would be no-I would look into another bike that is a little more performance oriented. This bike, in its present state has enough performance to do what I want. When I need a power fix I jump on one of my other bikes-just my opinion.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
So, was it worth it??? The added displacement transformed the bike and I'm sure that the port work helped some but would I pay $$$ to have someone else do it? My answer would be no-I would look into another bike that is a little more performance oriented. This bike, in its present state has enough performance to do what I want. When I need a power fix I jump on one of my other bikes-just my opinion.
Your 06 GSXR1000 would cost a tad under 500,000thb ($17,000) in Thailand. It would also take a lot of patients & a lot of searching to find a good one. I can't comment on finding GSXR1000 in the Seychelles.

GBAUTO what you have to appreciate is Graham lives on a little Island called the Seychelles, which is located to the northeast of Madagascar in the middle of the Indian ocean. New bikes get massive import duties slapped on them & secondhand bikes for sale are as rare as Hen's teeth.

I have a similar problem on my Island in Thailand ...Phuket is bigger than the Seychelles & has better availability of bikes btw. So if a KTM or a Husky wasn't twice the price of the UK, I would never have bought an SF in the first place. The klx250s & sf are build in Thailand which means they have no import duty & are actually cheaper to buy here than in the USA or UK. Graham's bike was built in Thailand & imported to the Seychelles, I think. We basically gotta work with what we got & is one of the downsides of living on paradise islands!

To get back to the OP, it's very tempting to get the head ported & polished etc. If i had a spare cylinder head sitting about, so I didn't have to wait for a 6 weeks turn around to post to the US ......yes I would get it done but in the real world Graham & I know it's probably not necessary but we just can't help ourselves...

Last edited by JoelThailand; 04-29-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

IMO

Cams yes, there are on my list as well as soon as I get some disposable money lying around.

Port/Polish, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Porting can be of help in N/A engines by increasing volume of airflow but polishing is usually reserved for forced induction engines from what I've gathered from people who know much more on the subject than I do.

Honestly i really doubt the head is holding back that much power due to flow through it (especially at the RPMS this motor will turn) and that cams and displacement (and proper fueling) will probably be of much more benefit.

Of course my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

From what I read on the bmw turbo forums, porting doesn't help that much on a forced induction motor, because your already shoving the air in. I would expect you to gain some top end flow, can't hurt.
marc

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Exhaust side could probably use some porting on a forced intake, or you could just turn it up to "11".

Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know where i can get a ported head and 101 Cams from, out right, ??

Cheers

Quick Reply: Polished Ports and Webcams.