Please recommend some handguards

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Default Please recommend some handguards

I need to add some handguards to my '06, and have searched the forums and read the posts, but most seem to require some modifications to install. But I wonder, is there a set that is easy to install, without requiring any modifications? The bike is new to me, and has a pro taper bar on it. I am not handy, and need something easy.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd recommend the Tusk D-Flex, I love mine. They've paid for themselves many times over, all the drops and crashes I've subjected my KLX to. Probably saved me a broken hand the day I put them on. Sand on conrete at 20 miles an hour hurt my arm and hip, but I kept all five fingers!

I assume your bars are oversized, so you'll need to buy the Big Bar Adapter as well. Installation is pretty straightforward. Go into the ends of the handlebars, and they attach via brackets to the inner area of the bars.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Likin' my Moose guards!

My local shop is a big Moose dealer, and I like to support them whenever I can, so here's a shout-out to Fun Cycles in Valdese NC! Moose makes a large and small cup for their guards, and has several different styles. I put a set of mini riser bars on my 07, and while I needed the shorter, non-curved (ie old school) guards, I'm loving them. Decent wind protection, but excellent physical protection. +1 for the Moose!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the help. I will get a set of one of those two ordered soon.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i like my moose ones.
Name:  newbike008.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  162.8 KB

Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I'd recommend the Tusk D-Flex, I love mine. They've paid for themselves many times over, all the drops and crashes I've subjected my KLX to. Probably saved me a broken hand the day I put them on. Sand on conrete at 20 miles an hour hurt my arm and hip, but I kept all five fingers!

I assume your bars are oversized, so you'll need to buy the Big Bar Adapter as well. Installation is pretty straightforward. Go into the ends of the handlebars, and they attach via brackets to the inner area of the bars.
What he said. A buddy of mine took a nasty spill Tuesday morning and the bike came down pretty hard on it's right side. So hard it knocked the handguard loose - and it was snugged down pretty good with LocTite. The guard did it's job though. No damage to the bars, brake lever or brake assembly. All I have to do is tighten it back up and I'm good to go.

My buddy didn't fare as well as the KLX, spent most of yesterday in the ER having X-rays taken of his neck and ribs. Docs couldn't find any structural damage but think he may have an issue with his rotator cuff - can't lift his left arm above belt level. He's plenty sore but will mend with some rest. Turns out the KLX is a pretty tough customer, tougher it seems, than the people who ride it....

Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Turns out the KLX is a pretty tough customer, tougher it seems, than the people who ride it....
I can verify this....personally.....

Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If I had it to do again, I would install the Acerbis Pro Rally hand guards like the ones I put on the wife's bike. Also the spoilers are awesome for cold wind.

Name:  100_5930.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  79.9 KB

Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Turns out the KLX is a pretty tough customer, tougher it seems, than the people who ride it....
I concur. I've only been riding since the summer, this is my first bike, and thus it has been subjected to plenty of noob-tard drops and crashes, including 47 miles on the clock the day we picked it up. Dropped it and snapped the clutch lever. But I'm rockin at around 4700 miles and it has taken it all well. Me... well, my hip and knee still ache from kissing the concrete that day.

I hope your buddy is ok!!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Question How about some great gaurds w/Turn signals built in?

Originally Posted by buckhorn
I need to add some handguards to my '06, and have searched the forums and read the posts, but most seem to require some modifications to install. But I wonder, is there a set that is easy to install, without requiring any modifications? The bike is new to me, and has a pro taper bar on it. I am not handy, and need something easy.

Handguards w/ blinkers? Take a look at Zeta, (tough as nails and takes a beating, trust me!!), then talk with Forest Green... Dealers don't get any better than his service and knowledge, IMHO.

Forrest Green @ Wheeling Cycle Supply in WV. Once you become a customer, you'll be a customer for life. Forrest knows his stuff.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com

Cheers!