PLEASE HELP!!! New bike and a little stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with westozklx- upgrade fork springs- add the gold valves. Also search "free mods". I no longer have my klx- but I had so much fun with it. Suspension is #1 for off road- followed by power mods. Up grade stock tires, and tubes, add rim locks- then ride the hell out of it. good luck-
how much did I love my klx- it gone for over a year but I still enjoy reading this forum.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Firt off congrats on the bike!!, second congrats on finding this site, it's a great resource.
You can use the search to find an answer to about any question you have here.

Another option for springs is Moto Pro. They specifically list the KLX250s in the "my bike" section where the calculator will recomend spring rates for your weight, riding style, and specific bike. I'm a little over 170lbs and ended up with the .44kg fork springs. Big difference over stock, which I think are .37kg http://www.moto-pro.com/mybike.asp
Kawi manual part no's are
99924-1165-03 manual klx 250-300 ~$60
99924-1240-57 klx / D-tracker supplement ~$35
The first manual I listed above, I believe is from 1997, and if so, is the same one WestOz, and Jim are offering to email you gratis in PDF.
The 07 parts list Jim has is usefull too, it's all of the exploded view drawings with part numbers. You can look at the same drawings on bikebandit.com too, but it's easier to have it right in your own puter.
You can buy separate jets from Jetsrus.com and the N1tc needle from kawi to save some bucks.
Search for "best muffler" on here for plenty of reading
Have fun
Dan

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

there is a lot of good information in the quick links thread. Have fun on your new ride. Oh and by the way, welcome to addiction

Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again. I've seen a lot of people talk about a 13t front. Some have mentioned a 48t rear instead of the stock 43 (?). I know the KX has a 50 rear. I'm strictly using this on dirt for now. Any thoughts on rear??? I'm not going to be trying 60+ on singletrack Again, thanks. This has been a great experience so far.

Jet Kit ordered
airbox lid OFF (and will stay off?) thick foam "pre"filter in it's place under seat.
Spring F&R will be ordered Monday
Waiting for auction to end for exhaust

Just have the gearing question left (for now)

Thanks,
mason

Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Say, I found this repair CD on Ebay. The person selling says it was written in 97. Anybody have experience with this. How much has changed/stayed the same since 97. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't buy the manual - someone put them all up in PDF here.. Do a search, if you can't find it let me know I can upload it somewhere..

Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by masonskr
Thanks again. I've seen a lot of people talk about a 13t front. Some have mentioned a 48t rear instead of the stock 43 (?). I know the KX has a 50 rear. I'm strictly using this on dirt for now. Any thoughts on rear??? I'm not going to be trying 60+ on singletrack Again, thanks. This has been a great experience so far.

Jet Kit ordered
airbox lid OFF (and will stay off?) thick foam "pre"filter in it's place under seat.
Spring F&R will be ordered Monday
Waiting for auction to end for exhaust

Just have the gearing question left (for now)

Thanks,
mason
13/45 if you wanna buy 2 sprockets or, Keep stock 14 and run a 47 rear. I think there is an issue with the chain guide at the rear if you run 48 teeth or larger. Both those combos will give yo a redundant first gear on the flat, but it'll come into its own when going up or down steeps. I have 13/45 and can run 100 kmh plus on fire trails no problem. I get the best fuel economy with this gearing too. Can roll on in 6th for fire trail fun.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF, make sure any pictures you post of your KLX are of it, with no mud, dirt, or any other infractions Mr. Deej might find ! HA !

Lots of good upgrade suggestion on here, and no lack of opinions and advice !!

1 upgrade to always consider is top quality safety gear. No cheap helmets or lousy goggles,
protect your self as much as possible.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I run full gear w/ chest protector and the works. That advice is wasted here cause I'm already covered. Thanks for the tip though. Couldn't agree more. Nothing's worth ending your riding "career" for a $100 chest protector or proper boots. I got the PDF of the manual emailed to me today so now let the deconstruction begin!

Thanks for the chain guide warning. I'll start w/ a 47 or 48 and keep front stock. The previous owner replaced the DT last month so the sprockets and chain are new. The chain will probably have to be replace too though because of the larger diameter.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by masonskr
Thanks for the chain guide warning. I'll start w/ a 47 or 48 and keep front stock. The previous owner replaced the DT last month so the sprockets and chain are new. The chain will probably have to be replace too though because of the larger diameter.
Just my prior experience and opines...you can run a 14:49 no problem, I did for about 2k miles, I have even seen posts where some said they used a 50 rear, could be ok...but they never posted again, I know for a fact a 49 will fit with the guard.

Now for the opine part...the 49 rear rear kinda makes first worthless and makes the bike a five speed....for me and sugar sand I think 14:45 is the best combo and compromise. But opinions will vary.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 11-30-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!!! New bike and a little stuck.