PLEASE HELP!!! New bike and a little stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default PLEASE HELP!!! New bike and a little stuck.

I'm so excited with my new 06 KLX 250 (it was my "black friday" gift to myself). I've done some research on bikes and this is definately the bike for me (especially for the price). I'm just going to be using it off road for now but I have a couple questions?

-fork setup (spring preload, and dampening adjust. I know it should be under both fork legs but I'm just feeling it inside the nut). I know I need to do both fork and shock springs for my weight. Any suggestions on who to use? I checked Race Tech and they didn't show any info for this bike
-MANUAL!!! I'm looking for a [B]service[B] manual. Disk, Clymer, Kawi. Anything. I was at my local dealer today and all he showed avail from Kawi was a supplement and he didn't know what it "supplimented." I'd really prefer a disk form though.
-What parts are "interchangable?" Wheels for example. I'd like to replace the "dualsport" wheels for a nice Excel MX wheelset.
-Jett kits. I'm looking at an exhaust kit right now and know I'll need to rejet but I didn't see a specific list for an 06 on Dynojets sight. They only listed the 09.

I'm capable of doing a lot of this myself and I'm looking forward to getting a little dirty (in and OUT of the garage.) I'm just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance.
-

Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome To Kawasaki Forums.
Turn On Some Tunes And Enjoy The Ride.
They're a lot of Good Members Here and they will do there Best to Help You out with Your Questions. Sometimes It Takes A Little Longer Then Others. So, hang-in there.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey welcome to the forums

I use a cyclepedia service manual... Only problem is you need to renew your subscription every year and you can see it only if you have access to the internet.. But its a pretty good manual.

Jets Kits :

Most of the '06 and '07 KLX riders use the Dynojet Manual for the KLX300.. The carb is the same for the KLX300,KLX 250 (2006 - 2009).

Even I bought the Dynojet KLX300 Jet Kit for my '07 250.. Its a pretty good Jet Kit, and if I'm not mistaken i'v heard that the Dynojet Jet kit for the '09 is more refined and wont give you as much power as you would get from a KLX 300 Jet kit..

The dampening adjust is under the for legs, but you need to take out the rubber bushes out to adjust them first (they are there to keep dust out)

Hope that helped..
Jamie

Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

This is possibly the best forum I've been on. Thank you guys. I noticed that there was "rubber" inside the fork plug. I'll pry that out during football tomorrow and play w/ my compression. Any fork "preload" tricks. Also, I saw that cyclepedia listing. Are you able to print your pages that you're working on or do I have to bring my laptop into the garage? (not ideal in my garage.)

Again, thanks for the help. I'll look into the KLX 300 dynojet kit.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride. I prefer the actual factory service manual. I will scan the page or pages if I need to take it to the bike in order to keep my manuals clean.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

do you have the part number for your service manual? My dealership could only find the "supplement." (I'd rather use the Kawi service manual too). Do you know if they have a "disk?"

Thanks for the help.
Mason

Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by masonskr
This is possibly the best forum I've been on. Thank you guys. I noticed that there was "rubber" inside the fork plug. I'll pry that out during football tomorrow and play w/ my compression. Any fork "preload" tricks. Also, I saw that cyclepedia listing. Are you able to print your pages that you're working on or do I have to bring my laptop into the garage? (not ideal in my garage.)

Again, thanks for the help. I'll look into the KLX 300 dynojet kit.

You should be able to print it out.. Yeah, using the laptop isnt a very good idea while working on your bike..You might be able to buy a Factory service manual CD on eBay..

You can buy the KLX300 Jet Kit from www.bikebandit.com or eBay..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...HOWVEHTABS%3d1

For that $ it had better be the main manual and not just supplemental

edit: I do not have any newer klx manuals to go by for numbers.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by masonskr
I'm so excited with my new 06 KLX 250 (it was my "black friday" gift to myself). I've done some research on bikes and this is definately the bike for me (especially for the price). I'm just going to be using it off road for now but I have a couple questions?

-fork setup (spring preload, and dampening adjust. I know it should be under both fork legs but I'm just feeling it inside the nut). I know I need to do both fork and shock springs for my weight. Any suggestions on who to use? I checked Race Tech and they didn't show any info for this bike
-MANUAL!!! I'm looking for a [B]service[B] manual. Disk, Clymer, Kawi. Anything. I was at my local dealer today and all he showed avail from Kawi was a supplement and he didn't know what it "supplimented." I'd really prefer a disk form though.
-What parts are "interchangable?" Wheels for example. I'd like to replace the "dualsport" wheels for a nice Excel MX wheelset.
-Jett kits. I'm looking at an exhaust kit right now and know I'll need to rejet but I didn't see a specific list for an 06 on Dynojets sight. They only listed the 09.

I'm capable of doing a lot of this myself and I'm looking forward to getting a little dirty (in and OUT of the garage.) I'm just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance.
-
Race Tech do springs. I have the fronts. Here is the info:

Race Tech (part #) FRSP 3946(44) (substitute last 2 numbers for spring weight , i.e. 44 is .44kg)

Free length 455mm
Free length 460mm

OD 38.2mm OD 38.6mm

Gold Valve Kit #FMGV 2040 (not necessary but adds some composure to the action.)

Rear springs are also available, search for KLX300R on the site.

Manual: PM me with a good (20Mb) email and I'll mail you a PDF manual for the 06.

Jet kit is Dynojet stage 2 for KLX300R. (same carb') Don't get the 09 kit it's weak.

Wheels (hubs) that are the same are KLX650R, KDX200/220. Search ebay and amke them up from the hubs.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd suggest doing the exhaust and the jet kit at the same time. They complement each other.
I can email you the three manuals below which coupled with the one for your bike from westoz you will be able to check interchangeability.
1. The 07parts manual
2. The 09 owners manual
3. The 97 owners mnaual and suplement in two parts. (I was not able to recombine them)
contact me at my name here with hotmail.com added to it. Have meetings for next two days so I may not be able to get to it right away but I will get to it.
Cheers Jim
Oh yea Welcome and I think you will be pleased with the forum. I am.

Last edited by maninthesea; 11-29-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!!! New bike and a little stuck.