Plastic UV Protection and Shine

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Plastic UV Protection and Shine

Ok, lets hear what you guys think and recommend. After 2 years of Florida Sun my stock green plastic is shot....and yes I keep the bike inside. I'm slowly buying all new black plastic for the bike and I would like to make it last as long as possible and clean up and be purdy too.

I heard a Honda plastic protector/shine product was good, opines.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Plastic UV Protection and Shine

interested also, more in a resto product if one exists. my plastic has that annoying "dusty" look.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Too late for mine. Oklahoma sun has faded the green to a whitish green color. But I don't mind too much. Since half the time, dirt or mud is covering the plastics.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I use MAXIMA SC-1. i'mnot sure of the UV protection. it doesn't shine up the plastic like i would like(maybe cause my stuff is already so beat up)but the mud doesn't stick like before so the bike washes off easier. it smells good too.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've heard that good car waxes with uv protection are great for plastics. I'd be careful on the Decals though. If it's time for paint then I know of the best thing for plastic. The Polyeurothane paint sold at hobby shops for RC planes and Helicopters is the cats' A$$. It'll bend & flex w/o cracking. I once had a RC Helicopter (Hughes 300) painted blue. Sold it 3 years ago with 20 years on the paint and it still looked mint.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.pcracingusa.com/plasticrenew.php

Never tried it, but have seen he ad in the back of dirtbike mags.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a product called "303" that claims to be "SPF 40 Sunscreen for your stuff. Found out about it from a guy who repairs/replaces automobile vinyl interiors, has been in the business for about 30 years. The formula is supposed to be light years ahead of stuff like ArmorAll and is not near as greasy feeling.

I live in Central Florida and have used it for years on my car interiors with good results and plan to put some on my '07 KLX and see how it goes.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I've used that plastic renew on my kids pw80, I was amazed at how good it came up, It's a bit scary using sand paper on your plastics but all turned out fine, I'm yet to see how it will last as the bike hasn't been ridden since, I think it will be something that needs to be regularly maintained.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

That stuff (Plastic Renew) looks like the real deal, Chris. I might just drop some coin on that, if they will ship it to APO.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

PLEXUS plastic cleaner protectant & polish

I've been using this stuff, found it at the dealer. I replaced half of the plastic on my bike and
used this stuff to make the old plastic look better. It worked pretty good. It looks like it will be a pretty good protectant, looks the same after washing the bike.

www.PlexusPlasticCleaner.com

Quick Reply: Plastic UV Protection and Shine