Planning out future mods, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Planning out future mods, need advice

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

You will end up destroying your motor if you have the lid off without rejetting due to the motor running very lean. It runs lean stock but with the lid off it will be lean to the point of the excessive heat you have already noticed cooking the piston and rings and maybe the valves too. Of course any damage you do will NOT be covered under warrenty.

Cheers
And that surely wouldn't be a good thing!

How much damage do you think i've done if i've put around 50-60 miles on 'er since I popped the airbox lid off?

I've only noticed it run any significantly hotter than stock once, and that's the time I mentioned in my previous post. Other than that, it just seemed a smidge warmer.

I've also noticed that there's this successive pinging, which is definetly not pre detonation. It's only when the engine is warm, and is very VERY similar to the pinging sound you hear when you have a car engine cooling. It used to do it prior to pulling the airbox lid, but not as often.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure you didn't do any damage - YET! With the engine off, the pinging or tinging noise is just the header pipe cooling down. [sm=smiley33.gif]

Old 08-11-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I'm sure you didn't do any damage - YET! With the engine off, the pinging or tinging noise is just the header pipe cooling down. [sm=smiley33.gif]
Good to know.

I put the airbox lid back on today. I lost most of the bolts though, so it's only held by two bolts, one on the bottom left, and one on the top right. Seems to hold on just fine though.

Flatspot is gone too. And I had my fan turn on for the first time today, and man is that thing irritating. I was sitting at a red light that didn't want to recognize my bike, and suddenly, my leg was just blasted with hot air :P

I'm thinking that maybe what i'll do, is get a Muzzy Full System first, then a Dynojet kit, and see how that tides me over. Then, if I really need the responsiveness, i'll try to sell the DJ kitted CV for a few bucks, adn then shell out for a 33 mil pumper.

How easy would it be to sell the DJed CV?

Old 08-11-2007, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

see how stuff just vanishes, happens to me all the time...i think they are 10mm

Old 08-12-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I think i'll just run with the two, seems fine.

So, how difficult would it be to sell the stock CVK with a Dyno Jet kit?

How much more responsive does the bike get after adding the DJ kit?

The more I think about it, the more I think "hey, maybe I don't really need a pumper". Most of my riding is on the street, it's just that when I DO hit the dirt, it's the really tight and really thick stuff.

What are the general operating principals behind a VM carb? My last bike ran one, and she did just fine in the dirt.