PipeGaurd

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default PipeGaurd

Hey check this out. Everyone take a look at this and tell me if this is not only a gaurd for scratches and stuff but will it also take care of the excess heat off the headpipe???? Will it fit our bike??? If so its alot cheaper then the tape. It also comes in cool colors.....

Here is the link...

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/view..._PIPEGUARD.JPG

Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: PipeGaurd

As far as fitment it looks like it just uses the hose clamps to mount. It may keep the heat down a bit but I wouldn't say a drastic difference. The headpipe on my 250 4 stroke honda 3 wheeler (Big Red, 1985) was similar to the stock setup on the KLX with the stamped guard on it. My grandfather put some sheetmetal over that and it was comfortable to ride with even just shorts on, so I dunno, maybe it would help with the headpipe temps, but then again the honda didn't have the smog recirculation heating up the pipe either.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 PM

Just order it, put it on and let us know how it works!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just FYI regarding the "header wrap" I posted about earlier ... I removed that when I had to remove my exhaust in order to do my 300cc upgrade and I didn't put it back on. The header wrap darkened the head pipe quite a bit, more bluing so I guess it was working as advertised. I used a steel brush and cleaned up the head pipe before putting it back on. However, I really just wanted some leg protection and to be honest, even with header wrap it still felt awefully hot. I didn't really notice any performance improvements due to the wrap, either - at least none that I could tell. Another thing is that if you ride through water or rain and it gets wet, it will sizzle and steam. I didn't really care for that. I liked the carbon fibre guard someone posted - I'll probably look into one of those at some point.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I talked to my machine shop guys and asked them if they could tack on a couple of nuts on the exhaust so I could use the stock shield, and they said no problem. Probably another dozen donuts will cover the cost. I love small town bartering. I might ask them for an idea on the foot peg and the muzzy issue. With the wife getting the XT 225 I will be carrying around my little buddy and will need the foot peg for sure.