Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: PINE BARRENS 500

So really you were 20 miles from any road? Just thought I would clear that up

Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: green242

See, guy, once you fill up at the gas station, drive 40 miles from the gas station, and back to the gas station.... How many miles have you driven???
And like I said, I hope you have an aftermarket tank. I don't think I could make it simpler

I’m not going to argue over something so silly there math wiz, but trust me on this one: my bike can make it 40+ miles from the nearest road (or fuel stop) and back again (won’t yours?) I could do it with my stock tank and I can do it with my Clarke, I also carry several MSR bottles as back up’s. But this isn’t even your point is it? Just some tangent you’re off on in a grasping attempt to poke a hole in my claim. The puzzling thing is that the people my comments were aimed at were the ones that wrote the website which was clearly geared towards inviting riders of large bore DS bikes not our type(s) even though a ride like that is clearly within many of us and our bikes capabilities. I particularly was making fun of their use or in this case misuse of the word “Adventure”, the term “Fun Ride” would be much more appropriate.
In no way was I aiming my remarks at the type of rider that make up the vast majority of this forum. Take care and try not to be so easily offended, I couldn’t even recall your screen name prior to you attacking so obviously my post wasn’t aimed in your direction and you haven't installed ABS brakes or Bluetooth on your KLX have you?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you're right. I'm was a bit in the wrong for my first little attack. I guess I didn't mean to sound such like an ***, it just kinda ended up like that. I was just trying to bring to the table how it is important not to ride alone, and 40miles is a long hike, if it could be done given what accident may occur. That is my grasping attempt to poke a hole in your claim. *be safe - ride with buddies, wear riding gear... etc.
That was my point. Sorry I came across the wrong way. I was wrong.
If you read, you will realize my point wasn't weather your bike could make it 80miles. And if I called you a poser for non-legitimate reasons, would you be offended? I took it like you called me a poser because your style isn't for me...in a nut-shell.
My appologies for my Jackass attitude

Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride mostly by myself I was out 52 miles from anywhere the last time I was out and I carry everthing but the kitchen sink, sometimes riding partners aren't there so I bring what I need and only ride 2/3 instead of wide open. That ride that there on there looks fun 500 miles is still pretty damn far though.

Kevin

Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

I ride mostly by myself I was out 52 miles from anywhere the last time I was out and I carry everthing but the kitchen sink, sometimes riding partners aren't there so I bring what I need and only ride 2/3 instead of wide open. That ride that there on there looks fun 500 miles is still pretty damn far though.

Kevin
the 500 miles in itself isnt the tough thing... the thing thatd kick ur *** is the terrain itself... thats 500 miles of deep sugar sand covered in whoops etc... i guarantee that 500 miles in the pine barrens ridden hard would whoop most anybody's ***.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

That's all I ride in is that. I know it tough! I did 105 miles two weeks ago and was pretty spent. I don't really rest until I'm done.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Riding with a partner is always the best bet. Safety in numbers is not just a clever slogan, however that being said, I'm not going to let my bike sit in the garage just because I can't get anyone to ride with me. I do several 80-100 mile rides by myself every year, and really I ride 90% by myself within 10-20 miles from town. I would love to have more riders come along, but I'm not going to beg forever. Oh and I carry a Blackberry with me. Does that make me some sort of poser?..........[8D]

Old 09-12-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

That's how I do all my responses on here is with my trusty blackberry!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

What has been overlooked slightly is that its not going to be 500 miles of sugarsand and whoops, that part is for the last day according to the website, and only part of the day. No way would the 1200GS's and F650's be invited if it was going to be 500 miles of that sandy hell. Picking up a 400+lb "dirtbike" would get aweful tiring and I'm not sure they have the clearance and travel to hit the woops hard. Not that they couldn't go there but I don't imagine the riders would like it after the first hour.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree 100% with wearing the proper gear and being as prepared and responsible as you possibly can, I have riding friends that are willing to go riding with me on day trips but no one that that is willing to do the overnighters in the wild which quite frankly are the adventures that I enjoy the most.

Now riding safe and smart and being far away from help are two different things, in the vastness of the desert here in Utah and Nevada there are so many interesting places to ride into but many are very remote, this fact and the scarceness of other people add to their appeal for me.

And let's face it; for some of us "adventure" is a sought after thing that involves risk and uncertainty, we can be smart and minimize the risk but if we eliminate it completely then all we have left is a trip to the grocery store.

Now my idea of adventure and others idea of the same can be 180 degrees out and that’s OK, but not having a working cell phone signal or being close by to help or gas isn’t for tough guys; in my case it’s just for guys (or gals) that want to get out and explore the thousands of miles of wilderness and uninhabited space in the area I live.

My wife doesn’t understand this and none of my friends understand it but some of you guys must have similar feelings?

I have the money to buy whatever bikes I want (I’m not claiming to be millionaire mind you) but this KLX suits my needs well, it is large and powerful enough to haul me and my gear into some rugged country while still being very streetable yet small enough so that I can muscle it around if needed and at the same time reliable enough so that I don’t have to worry much about having something stupid disintegrate out from under me for no reason.

Many (not all) of the riders of these large bore European DS machines (Caponord’s, BMW GS, and KTM950’s and such) that I have ran across in my recent years seem to have this almost stereotypical inwardly directed notion that the world revolves around them and their fashionable riding suit, they would much rather discus the next 4-star dining stop and have 7k miles on there two year old bike and have yet to see even a 4-lane dirt road, sorry if I offend but these are the posers (*******) that I refer to.
These clowns would have purchased a Gold Wing but wanted to look like something they are not (adventurous human beings), sorry I just can’t relate.

Quick Reply: PINE BARRENS 500