Pilot Jets Stock carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pilot Jets Stock carb

Even with the mods, you do not increase airflow much if any at idle. The stock jet at 2.5 turns works great for me at around 1000'. If you increase bore size, your engine will pull in more air at idle and a bigger jet will be needed.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't undrstand how some people on this board complain that the 40 is too rich yet have their fuel screw set 2.5 turns out.[&:]

Mole, it's very simple. Whatever pilot you have, if you have to go more than 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw, then you need to go to the next size up. If you have to go less than 1/2 turns out, then you have to go with the next size down. If you have the correct pilot size, you will always be between 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the Fuel Screw.

I am at sea level and I have the 40 pilot. I am at 2 turns out but now that I have the HMF slip on, it seems to be a little lean(popping on deceleration)so I am going to try 2.5 turns out.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ok my turn to chime in..... i have recently removed my airbox lid, i have the fuel screw at 2 turns out, and i have the 40 pilot in... it bogs a little off the start.... Im thinking its too much air, or is it too much fuel? im between 700-1200' elev..... help me get rid of this bog, Before i had the air box lid on and the fuel screw out to 2.5 turns.... but it was runnin rich... so i decided to give it more air, and it runs good with the lid off so i dont really wanna put it back on... but i wanna get this bog taken care of.... help.....

Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Removeing the Lid lets a LOT of air in it is lean for sure.......Takeing the lid off will require all setting to change includeing main and needle in most cases..... I have the KDX snorkle stock filter and 2.5 turns out with stock piolet and it runs great no popping or bog .... with a Big Gun EVO and vortex tip hope this helps.....

Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ill throw the airbox lid back on and see how it runs...... running a little rich wont hurt anything right?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats better than lean that is for sure

Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Alright folks, I took the advice and changed the pilot to a #40 today. Boy I really took it in the shorts from Burbank Kawasaki on the jets,neddle, spacer and clip. I am embarassed to tell you folks how much I paid them[:@]So I called around today to other Kawasaki dealers to find the40 pilot jet 92064-1108 and nobody had it, so I took a chance and called Chapparal Motorsports inSan Bernadino and the parts guy told me "no we dont have that Kawasakipart, But I think I can match it up" Well the pilot jet cost me a whole $4.00 thats about 1/3 of the cost of the other jets and we wont discuss the cost of the needle.
I guess thebright side to the trip (60 miles one way, LA freeways!) is Chapparal is like the Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas of two wheels out west so by the time i got out of there I had replaced most of the old Honda colors with the Kawasaki green stuff, Helmet, gloves, goggles and a real neat new riding jacket.
Now back to the bike, I got everything back togher today but I broke one of the fuel lines from the petcock. I mickey moused it to at least start the bike and It revs quicker and is not blowing any black smoke so I dont think it is running fat. I removed the snorkle and it seems a little louder but as soon as I fix the fuel line and button it back up I will update everyone on the jetting/FMF exhaust and header............Gonna go drink beer

Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike is all back together. I would definetly purchase fuel line prior to any removal of the carb or tank, I recall somewhere way back mabye Deej changed out their fuel lines with automotive type...I did too!

Here is the scoop....Lots of power, throughout the whole rpm range. Im not one to attempt to loft the front wheel on pavment at 48 years old, but I think it now would be possible. I havent had it off road yet with the FMF pipe/jetting/snorkle removal so I cant speak for that aspect. One thing that I will say is that with the snorkle removed, the airbox does growl kinda loud.The balance of the smog stuff is still intact and I was wating to see if a blockoff plate would become avalible?

I went conservative with the jetting: 125 main, 40 pilot and 2nd down from the top on the neddle clip. Also drilled the slide. I have also purchased the 13t front sprocket and I am planning on changing that also.

I really think the combo works well. Xlnt useable power, not too loud (I guess I will get used to the airbox)Would I go back to stock NO WAY!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

At this pointIhave a baseline setup that works well but is lacking in power compared to when I had the 38 pilot. I'm thinking at some point that I will install the KDX snorkel, up the main to a 125 and bump up the pilot (possibly back to the 38).If not for that I would send it to you. Sorry.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I've read somewhere that a 125 jet is the same as a 126 dynojet? or maybe 124? I cant remember and cant seem to find the link. Anyone know? Also I'm at 3500 ft, no smog, going FMF or muzzy pipe, UNI air filter, high flow snorkel and 5 1" foam breather holes in the lid. going with 40 pilot, 2nd clip on the needle and a 124 or 126 main. Probably go 2.5 turns out too. After reading maybe i should get a 38 pilot just to be safe?

Quick Reply: Pilot Jets Stock carb