Picture this

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Picture this

You know you will probily be out riding on a nice day when your water vault is filling, and your telepathic comunicator starts to vibrate!
I hope you have now found, and installed your automatic generator,and water pump ,for your next day off!

PS... TELL the wives your going riding! DONT ask!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Uh o... better watch what you say, another harley rider in these parts...... [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 12-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Roscoe

You know you will probily be out riding on a nice day when your water vault is filling, and your telepathic comunicator starts to vibrate!
I hope you have now found, and installed your automatic generator,and water pump ,for your next day off!

Actually I installed a 2 deep cycle 12 volt battery back up system, but it hasn't' really been working very well. However yesterday I discovered that because the discharge pipe is in the ditch line under about a foot of flowing water, the 12v pump was getting too much head pressure backwards and was not consistently starting, so I added a 16 inch pipe at a 30 degree rise at the end and cycled it 25 times, and it now works every time. Man I'm glad that is finally fixed. And sure enough the power went off at 2 am this morning and I drove down to the vault and the 12v system was pumping water like it was designed to. However the amount of water flowing in there is just a little more than the small pump can keep up with so I started the Honda generator and hooked up the main pump and went home and tried to get back to sleep. The power came back on before 6:30 and all is back to normal. I have a contractor giving me a bid to remove the top and re-seal it. The lid probably weighs 2-3000 lbs, and there is a seal about a foot or so from the top that needs to be fixed right. We'll see, man the coffee is taking a long time to kick in.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Roscoe

Actually I installed a 2 deep cycle 12 volt battery back up system, but it hasn't' really been working very well. However yesterday I discovered that because the discharge pipe is in the ditch line under about a foot of flowing water, the 12v pump was getting too much head pressure backwards and was not consistently starting, so I added a 16 inch pipe at a 30 degree rise at the end and cycled it 25 times, and it now works every time. Man I'm glad that is finally fixed. And sure enough the power went off at 2 am this morning and I drove down to the vault and the 12v system was pumping water like it was designed to. However the amount of water flowing in there is just a little more than the small pump can keep up with so I started the Honda generator and hooked up the main pump and went home and tried to get back to sleep. The power came back on before 6:30 and all is back to normal. I have a contractor giving me a bid to remove the top and re-seal it. The lid probably weighs 2-3000 lbs, and there is a seal about a foot or so from the top that needs to be fixed right. We'll see, man the coffee is taking a long time to kick in.

Shoot Deej, we used to have large generators - like 800 KVA jobs and bigger - hooked up to the telephone exhanges to charge the big batteries when commercial power went off. There was a monitor that watched the commercial AC and when it failed, started the generators automatically. Now, if you just start a big diesel and hook it up to the impeller for the vault, you should not have any trouble keeping it dry when the power goes out!

Then you can spend your time with the wife!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Or just tell her your going riding!...ahahhhaha