Picking up a used 2006 KLX 250s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Picking up a used 2006 KLX 250s

From a dealer. The bike has just about 650 miles and they are performing the first service. The bike has mostly sat and occasional runs but only 40 or so miles in the last couple of years.

Should I ask for them to replace the brake fluid and coolant as well as the 600 mile service?

Any other gotchas I need to be aware of?

NEWBIE ALERT

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-20-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Change the brake fluid for sure, not sure about the coolant but couldn't hurt to freshen that as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Check the tank for rust before running it. If it sat that much and the gas was not treated the inside of the tank may rust and that will gum the carb up and be a nightmare.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure it's 100% sound! Hope you're getting a good deal.

I'd almost rather have a 6yr old bike with 7k on it than a 6yr bike with 700! It's probably good but be sure to check well.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I decided to pull the trigger on it. It was traded yesterday for a full dirt bike. The bike was basically unused by the wife as the story goes. They agreed to do a full service including brake fluid and coolant. The battery came in our of the bike and fully charged (it was kept charged). The tires have no wear and the date stamp is 06. It may need rubber for safety. They are not cracked at all.

The bike looks really good. No wear really. The crank case cover does not even have a scuff mark on it. There is a bit of mud on it and a bit of dust but will look almost new after a good wash and polish.

In talking to the tech who took it around the block upon the trade and said it ran great. He said it felt stronger than the newer KLX's they have had.

The price was reasonable for a clean bike. $2800. I also need my current license endorsement which is free for the class buying their as they put it on. So another $150 saved.

It will be a commuter for me mostly. I am buying a bike to save money. Selling the car and sharing with my wife. I want to start a business reducing my debt load is the first steps.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
Check the tank for rust before running it. If it sat that much and the gas was not treated the inside of the tank may rust and that will gum the carb up and be a nightmare.
I looked at the tank an it looks perfect inside. We are a dry area of the country and it was stored in the garage. No corrosion anywhere.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I looked at the tank an it looks perfect inside. We are a dry area of the country and it was stored in the garage. No corrosion anywhere.
Glad you check, I learned the hard way. Bought a bike and after riding it about 20 miles it stopped running and was a plugged up with rust from the tank.

Just an FYI, rust inside the tank doesn't form by the weather of your part of the country or by wether or not its stored inside or not. If the fuel is not treated over time it will seperate and also if the tank is not completely topped off when put it away it allows condensation to form when weather changes, over time this condensation can produce rust in the tank. Has nothing to do with where you live. Since the bike didn't have a full tank of gas ran through it in the last several years I advise you to use caution. If it were me (and this is just my recommendation) I would go back to the dealer and ask them to unhook the tank after the petcock and drain the fuel in the tank out and then look in the tank. The bike I bought looked good when I looked inside the tank at the top because I couldn't see down to the bottom through the fuel where the rust was at. Might not be an issue, but if it were me I would double and triple check, but I have been there.

Last edited by Landon; 03-21-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much. I will ask that when they do the coolant and brake fluid to drain the tank. I am sure the fluid will look clean or not so clean also based on the tank condition. If it is bad then perhaps this is a time to upgrad to a bigger tank!

Originally Posted by Landon
Glad you check, I learned the hard way. Bought a bike and after riding it about 20 miles it stopped running and was a plugged up with rust from the tank.

Just an FYI, rust inside the tank doesn't form by the weather of your part of the country or by wether or not its stored inside or not. If the fuel is not treated over time it will seperate and also if the tank is not completely topped off when put it away it allows condensation to form when weather changes, over time this condensation can produce rust in the tank. Has nothing to do with where you live. Since the bike didn't have a full tank of gas ran through it in the last several years I advise you to use caution. If it were me (and this is just my recommendation) I would go back to the dealer and ask them to unhook the tank after the petcock and drain the fuel in the tank out and then look in the tank. The bike I bought looked good when I looked inside the tank at the top because I couldn't see down to the bottom through the fuel where the rust was at. Might not be an issue, but if it were me I would double and triple check, but I have been there.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

If it is bad then perhaps this is a time to upgrad to a bigger tank!
Thats exactly what I would do, but you want to know that before you run gunk through the bike.

Oh,,,Congrats!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a bit of mud on it and a bit of dust but will look almost new after a good wash and polish.
Heresy

Ron

Quick Reply: Picking up a used 2006 KLX 250s