Picked-up Pumper Carb Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Picked-up Pumper Carb Today

Here are some pic's of Marty's carb for comparison. I can see that the throttle linkage is different and his float bowl is vented differenlty. Also the actuating cam for the accel pump is diffent, but beyond that and the 'nerdy needle' I don't see major differences.

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Thanks Tremor38,

I'm busy reading all I can about Pumper carbs. I have a 250 with a 300 kit and the CVK is not my idea of fun. All my previous dirt bikes had flat slides and were easy enough to dial in.

Question if I may...Do all flatslides have the pumper capability? My carbs on my YZ and CR dirt bikes were flatslides but I don't remember them having a pumper feature. I'm watching Marty's thread with curiosity. If it works out his option is almost half the cost and therefore attractive. Looking at all the carb options I am attracted to your carb due to its easy ability to dial in relative to the FCR by FSW. I must say the needle sounds quite interesting as well (the nerd in me is grinning).

Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just for completeness, here's a few of the Keihin 35mm FCR that I have:

Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Tremor,

Thanks for the pics. I'm in a strange situation in that I live stateside for six months w/out my bike and go to Thailand for six months where I ride. I'm a bit nervous about buying and the FCR from FSW and having to sort it out over there in the sticks with no tech support. Though I will watch NObrakes carb thread with interest, I'm leaning towards Marty's solution if it pans out as predicted due to its tuning simplicity. Though I did ride a KLX 250 w/a 300 jug FCR and cams and that thing flat spanked my 300. If I was riding stateside I would probably go for the FCR but being over there I need ease of set-up.

Can you access the main without removing the carb?

Also why do you have a preference for the twin cable set-up over a single cable? I always thought the single cable throttles were easier.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Question if I may...Do all flatslides have the pumper capability? My carbs on my YZ and CR dirt bikes were flatslides but I don't remember them having a pumper feature. I'm watching Marty's thread with curiosity. If it works out his option is almost half the cost and therefore attractive. Looking at all the carb options I am attracted to your carb due to its easy ability to dial in relative to the FCR by FSW. I must say the needle sounds quite interesting as well (the nerd in me is grinning).
2-strokes don't use pumper carbs they would flood, 4-strokes can be "doughy" when the throttle is whacked open at low revs thats why the vacuum carbie is used (CVK34) for a gradual increase or a pumper carb for that quick injection of fuel to overcome the poor throttle response.

Thats the best I can do to explain it

Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, both system are used and both obviously work. You're right, some people prefer the one wire sysem for simpicity.

I prefer the two wire system for safety reasons. My stance was reaffirmed today while hooking-up and adjusting the cables. I had tightened one of them a little too much and the throttle -even with the considerable return spring tension at the carb- was not closing on its own when I released the grip. I had no problem twisting it back to full closed using the grip though because a double wire system pulls in both directions (pulls open and pulls closed).

Once I adjusted all of the tension properly and ensured proper routing of the cables, the thottle closed just fine on its own....but what I started out with was a pretty good simulation of a binding cable. I can't honestly tell you I would be alert enough to hit the kill switch at any given moment during a ride using a one wire system. Twisting the grip in the opposite direction would probably be my first reaction.

I guess once you get older you're a little less of a thrill seeker [8D]

Tremor,

Thanks for the pics. I'm in a strange situation in that I live stateside for six months w/out my bike and go to Thailand for six months where I ride. I'm a bit nervous about buying and the FCR from FSW and having to sort it out over there in the sticks with no tech support. Though I will watch NObrakes carb thread with interest, I'm leaning towards Marty's solution if it pans out as predicted due to its tuning simplicity. Though I did ride a KLX 250 w/a 300 jug FCR and cams and that thing flat spanked my 300. If I was riding stateside I would probably go for the FCR but being over there I need ease of set-up.

Also why do you have a preference for the twin cable set-up over a single cable? I always thought the single cable throttles were easier.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im jealous all you guys have all this extra $$ to spend on goodies... expensive goodies.... like pumper carbs, 300cc, jerks...lol....

looks good though, wish i had the extra doe to blow....

Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Not a chance.

With CVK, you have just enough room to get away with that. The flat side carb bodies are too long. they'll bump into something before you can turn them far enough to gain access to the float bowl. I image you could do it without completely pulling it out of the frame, but you would have pull it out of the boots anyway, so might as well take it out where it's easier to work on.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, well....errr...I'm kinda doing this in reverse. I had pretty much committed to getting a pumper once I had heard that it was the single best thing you could do for a difference in performance that you can actually feel. I've wanted a pumper ever since I bought the bike. Yeah, I get a little extra in the stocking every year, but now I'm waiting for the tax return to get an exhaust Good thing the winters are long here or I'd be going completely nuts!

Where in the heck do you guys find a drill bit long enough to drill the stock baffle? The only bits long enough that I see in stores over here are for masonry and cost an arm and leg.

The only guy who seems to have the dinero to do these mods all at once is that Nobrakes fella. He'll probably get bored with this bike before long and buy a Huskvarna or KTM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

im jealous all you guys have all this extra $$ to spend on goodies... expensive goodies.... like pumper carbs, 300cc, jerks...lol....

Old 12-15-2006, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

quote:

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Well I bought mine in Thailand and they are only about $2000 for a used one. They import them in from Deans neck of the woods from Japan. So some left over money for goodies is available when you're dropping $2k instead of $5k. The bits I'm adding however will be purchased in the states while I am over here. So I'll be bending over for a pumper carb.

Tuning the carb on these is a right hassle compared to my two strokes judging by peoples comments. Thanks everyone for the info. Now Tremor we're all dying to see your results so nevr mind the winter weather we want pictures of wheelies in the snow.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38
The only guy who seems to have the dinero to do these mods all at once is that Nobrakes fella. He'll probably get bored with this bike before long and buy a Huskvarna or KTM
I had thought I might turn to a Husky or KTM sooner rather than later, but after my "year 1" mods to the KLX, I'm very very happy with it now, so I don't think that will be happening, unless it self destructs or something and if that happens, I think I'd probably turn to the KLX450R and dual sport it if there's not a KLX450S by then. I don't need a KTM maintenance *****. No offense to any KTM owners out there.

Quick Reply: Picked-up Pumper Carb Today