Picked-up Pumper Carb Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Picked-up Pumper Carb Today

My carb actually arrived yesterday, but my work ended too late, so I picked up the pumper from the dealer right when he opened, then headed for work.

It came out of box with the following jets/settings. I'm guessing that Marty's settings will be similar if he runs without a lid.

Main: #142.5
Pilot: #27.5
Pilot Air: #125
Pilot Screw: 2 turns open
Accel Pump Nozzle: #30
Accel Pump movement range: 1/4 - 3/4 throttle

It also came with some extra goodies
-#137.5 & #147.5 Main Jets
-#120 & #130 Pilot Air Jets
- A funnel Intake Adapter which I'll never use
- All plugs necessary for elimination of air recirclulation system.
- Fuel hose, zip ties and documentation galore.

First I just have to show you all how all-important the packaging is in Japan.

Front View

Rear View, with provided airbox adapter fitted. Note the inlets for Main Jet Air and Pilot Air Jets.

Right Side View, which shows the Accelerator Pump.

Left Side View, which shows that, yup, it has a choke.

Top view of fitted Carb. She's a tight squeeze, but didn't take long to install.

Here's a picture of the installation from the RH side. Note the the double throttle wire bracket is still on carb. It's close to the valve cover but there is still adequate clearance. Ran out of time today, but will connect both throttle wires tomorrow.

Last, but not least, a drawn-to-scale pattern was provide to open the air box lid. Dimensions are 105 X 85mm. They stressed to keep the corners rounded for whatever reason, so I obediently followed directions. A dremel tool made quick work of it.

I'll follow-up with pics of the throttle cable hook-up in a later post. It may be time to step-up my exhaust shopping!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Default RE: Picked-up Pumper Carb Today

More . . . .

. . . . . . . . More . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . More . . . .

Now, just a cotton pickin' moment there! It ain't Christmas yet! I mean just because you're a day before everyone here in the States don't mean you can open up the Christmas gifts yet!

Nice looking carb!

H'mmm, Main: #142.5, Pilot: #27.5, Pilot Air: #125 ??

I've got to go and pick up some bigger jets.

I know why the rounded corners. Has to do with creating additional turbulence. Square corners are NOT for use in air intakes. Messes up the air flow and causes reversion flow in the carb!

I'm waiting to hear how big the smile on your face is!

Congrats!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL!

I was anxious to keep going, but figured it would be better to collect my thoughts for a day because there were stern warnings throughout the instructions about making sure the throttles cables are positioned properly for smooth operation. D-ya thank that might be important? Ideally the cables would be a bit shorter, but I think I can shift the slack forward and strap strap everything in place.

As far as jetting goes, I'm fairly sure the pilot air and pilot will be the same. The question mark arrives when we start talking about main jets because my main jet is feeling into a radically different needle.

Hopefully the ones that Bill is sending you will get'er running properly.

ORIGINAL: Marty

More . . . .

. . . . . . . . More . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . More . . . .

Now, just a cotton pickin' moment there! It ain't Christmas yet! I mean just because you're a day before everyone here in the States don't mean you can open up the Christmas gifts yet!

Nice looking carb!

H'mmm, Main: #142.5, Pilot: #27.5, Pilot Air: #125 ??

I've got to go and pick up some bigger jets.

I know why the rounded corners. Has to do with creating additional turbulence. Square corners are NOT for use in air intakes. Messes up the air flow and causes reversion flow in the carb!

I'm waiting to hear how big the smile on your face is!

Congrats!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great looking carb, tremor! I can't wait to hear your ride report. I hope it is dialed in perfectly and you don't have to mess with the jetting. If you do happen to have jetting problems, I can highly recommend posting the specifics over in the Jetting section on Thumpertalk. Eddie nailed my jetting first try and I'm sure has saved me much aggravation.

Congrats!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM

[sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 12-14-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Tremer38,

Yoshimura made that carb look quite nice, congrats. Is this the same carb that Marty has just remachined for their proprietary needle jet?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Tremer38,

Yoshimura made that carb look quite nice, congrats. Is this the same carb that Marty has just remachined for their proprietary needle jet?

Marty has the TM-33. My carb is based directly upon the TMR-34. The 'R' designation designates for racing only, but I don't think the difference is that big.

As far a I can tell, the TMR-34 and Marty's TM-33 look pretty darn similar. Marty had his offset bored to 34MM and adapter rings fitting. If you look at the pics of my carb, that seems to also be the case.

Maybe Marty can give us link to his earier post which had pics of this TM-33?

Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 AM

That looks like it fits in there nice. How much did it run you?

Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tremor38,

I'm busy reading all I can about Pumper carbs. I have a 250 with a 300 kit and the CVK is not my idea of fun. All my previous dirt bikes had flat slides and were easy enough to dial in.

Question if I may...Do all flatslides have the pumper capability? My carbs on my YZ and CR dirt bikes were flatslides but I don't remember them having a pumper feature. I'm watching Marty's thread with curiosity. If it works out his option is almost half the cost and therefore attractive. Looking at all the carb options I am attracted to your carb due to its easy ability to dial in relative to the FCR by FSW. I must say the needle sounds quite interesting as well (the nerd in me is grinning).

Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Not all flat side carbs are pumpers. TM33-8012 (Marty's carb) comes with an accelerator pump, as does mine.

Yeah, I got this pumper for the following main reasons, not necessarily in order of importance.

-comes plug-n-play with extra jets to tweak it if need be.
-You can still use both throttle cables.
-The 'nerdy' needle, which my dealer (also a D-tracker racer in Japan) recommends above all other available pumpers for this bike. I have a bit of nerd in me as well
-Local expert at my finger tips for tech support and parts(Dealer..this guy really knows his 'shiznit'). Also, I haven't had him take longer than one week to deliver any parts I order.

If I were stateside, I would probably go with either the FCR-35 or TM-33 done-up at a machine shop like Marty's. Tech support and parts close-by would again be a major factor.

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Thanks Tremor38,

I'm busy reading all I can about Pumper carbs. I have a 250 with a 300 kit and the CVK is not my idea of fun. All my previous dirt bikes had flat slides and were easy enough to dial in.

Question if I may...Do all flatslides have the pumper capability? My carbs on my YZ and CR dirt bikes were flatslides but I don't remember them having a pumper feature. I'm watching Marty's thread with curiosity. If it works out his option is almost half the cost and therefore attractive. Looking at all the carb options I am attracted to your carb due to its easy ability to dial in relative to the FCR by FSW. I must say the needle sounds quite interesting as well (the nerd in me is grinning).

Quick Reply: Picked-up Pumper Carb Today