The people I work with.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The people I work with.

There is no real point to this other than it might make you laugh. Sitting at work last night i was talking with my partner about driving to wyoming..... for good. It's 30 hrs and 1800 miles. Talking about driving up the mountains and all that good stuff you guys in the mountains get to play with. He asked me why don't I take my bike. First thought was climbing a mountain with a stock klx.... ya right. Second thought was jetting. His suggestion was to take a O2 bottle and a nasal cannula. Run the cannula into the airbox and when the bike starts to lean up and bog just give it another liter. Starting to understand why i'm ****ed in the head.... It's EMS and the crazy people I work with.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess nobody else thought it was funny. Maybe 4 hours of sleep in 36 hours makes it funny.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I got a chuckle out of it.
Was out on a dive boat the other day and one of the dive instructors was asking what was at this dive site. Told her if you go over that way you might see some turtles. In fact there is one right there on the surface. "Why do they come to the surface she asks"? Duh so they can breathe. "they have to breathe?"
Here's your sigh!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Your jetting acts richer the higher you climb. The air gets leaner.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by treerat
... First thought was climbing a mountain with a stock klx....
Sounds like you's overtired. The stock KLX will do fine in the mountains, it's got enough grunt to go anywhere you want to go; rider skillz and tires are the limiting factors.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
The stock KLX will do fine in the mountains, it's got enough grunt to go anywhere you want to go; rider skillz and tires are the limiting factors.
Exactly what I was thinking...

However, it is interesting to think about the supplemental oxygen thing, though. Turbocharging would be safer, as you aren't providing an oxygen-rich atmosphere in order to increase the number (and therefore the total mass) of oxygen molecules per combustion chamber charge in order to maintain the correct stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. I'd be too concerned with the fire hazard of a nasal cannula stuck in the airbox in order to try out your theory...but, that's just me.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd be afraid more than just the header pipe might be glowing red.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

A standard medical E bottle holds 24cubic feet of Oxygen. The KLX can easily breath more than twice that in a min. If you slow the bleed down so you dont run out quickly you wont be helping the bike much. If you increase the bleed to an apriceble amount youll either be out before you geat a chance or you will need to carry a tank that weighs more than the bike.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
A standard medical E bottle holds 24cubic feet of Oxygen. The KLX can easily breath more than twice that in a min. .
Ah, yes, a diver would know that kind of thing!

I forget, how much air in consumed per gallon of fuel in an ICE? Something like 10,000 gallons of air per gallon of gas?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Room air is only 1/5th O2 so you would not need to provide a total atmosphere just increase the amount of O2 available at altitude like a liter a minute or so to the airbox, so an E cylinder would last awhile at that rate but you'd be riding a potential bomb I'm afraid.

Quick Reply: The people I work with.