Pelican Box on KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 AM

This was just what I was looking for. . .

Thanks for the clever clamp approach, I was trying to come up with something that would allow for relatively quick attach/detach, but the reality is, I'd probably never take it off.

Pelican is the way I want to go because I want to carry my camera gear and NOT have it get destroyed when I drop the bike (see how I said 'when' ?).

I was looking at one of the storm cases, but I will have to check out the 1200 to see if it will meet my needs.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tool list

[/QUOTE] Here's the tool load that I typically carry. It changes occassionally depending on where I'm going and who I'm with...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Hey Kmac250, That system you have going looks great. I have the 2009 KLX 250s and I'm currently planning my first 7 day trip around Vancouver Island. I was wondering if you would please post a point form list of the tools you have shown.

Last edited by Ray11Ray; 05-22-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Read this thing again, and now I want some chicken! LOL

Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Before I divulge my list, check out this forum thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ool-kit-31249/

neilaction & deej show off their respective tool kits and neil provides a complete list for his.

My KLX trips tend to be short trips to long day trips....no over night stuff yet. Here's what's inside my kit for most trips:
• Standard KLX250 tool kit
• 2 flat blade screw drivers
• Phillips screwdriver
• Craftsman roll up tool pouch with the following:
o 9 combination wrenches, 8mm to 17mm
o Medium size Vise grip pliers
o 2 tire levers
o 8” adjustable wrench (that will fit axle nuts)
o Spoke wrench (just to impress others)
• Folding metric hex (allen) wrench set
• 13mm “gear wrench” combination ratchet wrench
• 3/8” drive socket adapter for “gear wrench”
• 5/8” spark plug socket – 3/8” drive
• Spare clutch lever
• Spare spark plug
• Tire tube patch kit
• Tire valve tool
• Small hand tire pump
• Extra tire stem valves & caps
• Zip ties, wire ties, tie wraps…..what ever you want to call them
• Roll of electrical wire
• Small roll of black electrical tape
• KLX250 owners manual

Recently added:
• 2 ft piece of small (1/4 ID) rubber tubing to siphon gas from tank to pour into cylinder for hard starting KLX250’s
• Quick curing epoxy putty

Last year prior to my first trip to Phoenix to ride the fire roads and dirt trails with a friend, I purchased a nice tool kit made by Cruz. This became the starting point for my "flying" tool kit. I also carry it with I'm riding my Kawasaki Versys.

Cruz Tools Roadtech M3 Metric Cruiser Tool Kit - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Name:  Cruz-Tools-Roadtech-M3-Metric-Cruiser-Tool-Kit.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm amazed at the weight being carried. Fellow KLX'er put a 1 gallon fuel cell on his rack, and after about 20 miles of whoops, wide open in 4th gear, the subframe gave up...completely breaking through on both sides. 1 gallon is only about, what, 8.5 lbs?

I use a Giant Loop, which distributes the weight a bit, and my Baker 1.1 gallon Aux tank probably adds a bit of support to the subframe, the way it is mounted. Still...I've had subframes break on me before...it's not fun when you're out in the desert a long way. Bailing wire saves the day in those cases, but, again, it's a pain.

Lot of the people I know pre-emptively cut the subframe and reinforce it with a welded "tube-within-a-tube" technique. Then again, not everyone has the same rough conditions as we ride in here. Just be aware of the stress of weight on the subframe if you ride hard....

Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.....Insert beer here...i'll post my ride and a complete list of what i'm brining on my 7 day trip.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Scared ****less

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I'm amazed at the weight being carried. Fellow KLX'er put a 1 gallon fuel cell on his rack, and after about 20 miles of whoops, wide open in 4th gear, the subframe gave up...completely breaking through on both sides. 1 gallon is only about, what, 8.5 lbs?=

WOW I`m scared ****less now...I just purchased the Borrego from turbo city for my 2009 klx 250s and a 1 gallon rotopax to go ontop of it. Now i`m thinking i make a huge mistake.....(correct me please if i`m just being paranoid)

Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Take note of the "20 miles of whoops, wide in open in 4th gear". ridden more sanely there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation can`t afford Rear rack whoops

Well, I do single track and i`m not really in the position to afford a whoops...I here the cyclerack can hold lots of wieght and also strenghtens the subframe somehow. To be honest it`s ugly but i`m not in a fashion show. I`m definatly looking for functionality and somthing that really can take the weight if a whoops really happens. Do you know much about the cyclerack

Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The Cycleracks bolts on at the rear pegs and where the tool kit mounts. When I bolted mine up it was intitialy a little high (maybe 1/4") at the back but the bolts sucked it down into place. So the Cyclerack is putting slight upward pressure on the rear of the subframe. I haven't taken it off since installing it in '08 so I don't know if that upward pressure is still there. The rack does a great job of protecting the rear signals and plastics. Gives lots of handholds for picking the bike up or heaving it around. I've lifted the rear of the bike up numerous times using the rack. It ain't pretty, it just looks that way. Apologies to The Northern Pikes.

Quick Reply: Pelican Box on KLX250S