PAV valve?...decel popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default PAV valve?...decel popping

Since I put my my HMF slip-on on I have had quite a bit of decel popping. I asked the tech at the stealer and he took me on to the showroom (away from the salesmen) and says "you didn't hear this from me but, this bike has a PAV valve that puts air into the exhaust as part of the smog crap. If you just plug this hose the decel pop with almost entirely go away". For the life of me I can remember what hose he was talking about. Can someone with tech manual email me the diagram (b_davis@excite.com). Any suggestions on what I should plug the hose with? I don't want to remove all the smog crap incase I every move to an inspection state (I move a lot for work).

Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: PAV valve?...decel popping

ORIGINAL: fireroad

Since I put my my HMF slip-on on I have had quite a bit of decel popping. I asked the tech at the stealer and he took me on to the showroom (away from the salesmen) and says "you didn't hear this from me but, this bike has a PAV valve that puts air into the exhaust as part of the smog crap. If you just plug this hose the decel pop with almost entirely go away". For the life of me I can remember what hose he was talking about. Can someone with tech manual email me the diagram (b_davis@excite.com). Any suggestions on what I should plug the hose with? I don't want to remove all the smog crap incase I every move to an inspection state (I move a lot for work).

I removed all smog and I still have the decel pop with my HMF. KlX250S_rider said it was exhaust leak where the slip on joins the header pipe. Sure enough I can feel the leak. As a matter of fact,I just put sealer on the joint. I willhave to waitfor it to dry and see if theleak and the popping goes away.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks FM, what did you use to seal it with? Did klx250s_rider say how much the decel pop went away? Still working on the idel fuel screw mix problem (worked all weekend). I'll update you tomorrow on the thread.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks FM, what did you use to seal it with? Did klx250s_rider say how much the decel pop went away? Still working on the idel fuel screw mix problem (worked all weekend). I'll update you tomorrow on the thread.
KLX250S_Rider used Permatex Muffler and Tailpipe sealer. I went to three stores and none of them had it so I bought a stuff called VersaChem Exhaust System Joint and Crack Sealer. I smeared it on all the edges. I just went to the garage and fired up the KLX. I ran my entire hand in cold water and I feel no exhaust leak whatsoever. So that problem is fixed. I'll take it out for a spin tomorrw and see if the popping goes away. I'll post the result for you.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I drilled out the stock muffler (1/2") through both baffles and threwthat back on the bike last nighton last night for a comparison. Decel pop 99% gone. May ride that for a week before deciding on whether to keep my HMF (too loud for my delicate ears ).

Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

(too loud for my delicate ears ).
I assume you do not wear ear plugs. Wear them! Without them, you will lose a good part of your hearing if you ride a lot. This is a fact and it pretty much a guarantee. I have very sensitive ears and I don't ever ride without them. I once took them off and the roar from the wind and the mechanical clatter was deafening!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I know, I know...butI always seem to loose them [sm=tongue.gif]. I make sure I have them for long rides, but my M-F commute is5 miles at 35 miles an hour...wind noise not really a factor. I love the HMF, just wish it was quieter....like their sound charts lead you to believe.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Actually even around town the windnoise is deafening w/o ear plugs. It actually hurts once you get used to the comfort of ear plugs.

As for the HMF, you don't have the quiet core?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I do have the quite core and it's still pretty loud. KLX250S_rider is going to post some pics of a mod to the quite core that's supposed to tone it down a notch without noticable loss in power. Where do you get your ear plugs?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I do have the quite core and it's still pretty loud. KLX250S_rider is going to post some pics of a mod to the quite core that's supposed to tone it down a notch without noticable loss in power. Where do you get your ear plugs?
I cannot believe that you think the quiet core is loud!

I make judgement on the loudness of a pipeon people's facial expression and reactions as I ride by. I ride by with the quiet core and people walking don't even flinch. If they are having a conversation, theycontinue it without any apparent changes in their conversation. Now watch the same people's reaction when a Hardley Ableson with an open pipe rides by.

As for the ear plugs, don't go to a bike shop. Go to a local discount pharmacy like CVS or RiteAid. It's a lot cheaper. There are different shaped ones. Somelook like mini coke cans and some look like mini ice cream cones.Try them out first to see which ones you like better and then once you findthe type you like better, buy the biggest packagethey sell. I usually buy 50 pairs for about $10. A pair usually lastsabout 20 rides or so then I toss them.

Quick Reply: PAV valve?...decel popping