paranoia or what is the temperature of coolant....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default paranoia or what is the temperature of coolant....

Hi, finally I installed 351cc and pamper after some problems. Anyway, now I have impression that bike is running hot. It never came to my mind before. I don't know why after putting big can heat is more noticeable. I checked coolant and it is not at the level of tap. filled full and it was spilled into reservuar. anyway, now I am trying to figure out - is it my paranoia or not. how to check it? jets been checked with sensor - everything OK. it seems that there is no leakage through the head gasket - checked chemically, no signs. what is the temperature of coolant on running bike? should be coolant visible at the top of radiator or just cover ribs?

Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Maybe a little bit of difficulty with a language barrier issue in your post for me to understand your question fully, but I'll take a stab at it. I have a digital gauge and sensor in my Trailtech Vapor instrument panel. Normal highway cruising temp is usually between 157 and 165 degrees. Medium trail riding usually results in temps between 170 and 190 degrees. Extremely tough, technical trails can push the temps over 200 degrees where the fan comes on by itself around 210-215 degrees on my bike. Is your fan coming on frequently and in conditions that are not that difficult for the engine?

On the coolant level, it should be checked at the plastic reservoir container. Coolant level here can fluctuate a bit as the level should rise a little when the bike is hot, and then it should drop back to "normal" as the bike cools. You should not be pushing coolant out the reservoir overflow tube except in the most nasty, emergency conditions in hot weather...and even then it should be under the most exceptional riding conditions. My bike has never pushed coolant out of the reservoir. All my KLR600/650's did push a little coolant out under the most severe and rare situations, but the KLX appears to produce less heat in comparison. I'm unclear on where and how you're checking your coolant level.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

When you fill the closed radiator system with a piped overflow like most modern vehicles, fill the radiators till it is overflowing, put the cap on and your done.

You will want to run the engine while filling. If you take off the radiator cap, and the fluid is not all the way to the top off the radiator ready to overflow, top it off till it is and put the cap back on. You can do this after several rides, but once the radiator is full when you open the cap, then you check the status by viewing the overflow container.

Never open the radiator when hot or you will get burnt.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you TNC, probably coz you are speaking american I will try to install temperature gauge as soon as it arrives. My bike doesn't spill coolant out of the reservoir. I think that Durielk better described the situation - when I open the radiator, the coolant is not at the top of the filling neck but just above the radiator ribs - when I look inside I can see them. I didn't top it again coz I rode only once on the bike. I will try to fill it up few times after every ride and see if it will remain completely full eventually. Thank you again for help!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you hear your fan turn on, if not assuming it's working you didn't get it too hot.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmm... it is hard to hear anything on running bike with helmet on. Frankly speaking I didnt. I was alarmed by fact that the coolant is not at the top of the radiator after filling it up on the running bike after installation of the big bore kit. I topped it once after test ride but the coolant level lowered again. I had few theories such as - heat (wrong fuel mixture), faulty head gasket, high heat due to something that I dont know, faulty radiator tap. I checked mixture by oxi sensor. I checked gasket by chemical test. Both are ok. I can measure engine temperature but not of the coolant at the moment. I dont know how to test the cap. By the way any thoughts about this product - Kawasaki KLX250S Parts, Performance, & Accessories - ProCycle