Painted Plastics Gray

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Painted Plastics Gray

Looks good!

I'm going to try the "paint the plastic" thing when the Clarke tank becomes available. Someone mentioned the trick about getting the natural tank (the one that's translucent whereyou can see the fuel level through it), and put a piece of electrician's tape on it before painting. Then, afterwards when you remove the tape, you have a "built in fuel guage". I hope that Krylon Fusion stuff sticks to whatever plastic Clarke uses!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Krylon Fusion paint is the worst , it wont even stick to it self.Ive tried it a few time with no luck.Automotive paint works the best on plastic if you have the stuff to use it,if not rust-oleum sticks pretty good with a few coats,but will still scratch off.plastic is not very easy to paint.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

Looks good!

I'm going to try the "paint the plastic" thing when the Clarke tank becomes available. Someone mentioned the trick about getting the natural tank (the one that's translucent whereyou can see the fuel level through it), and put a piece of electrician's tape on it before painting. Then, afterwards when you remove the tape, you have a "built in fuel guage". I hope that Krylon Fusion stuff sticks to whatever plastic Clarke uses!
you need to use a paint on the tank that wont melt off if you get gas on it.the Krylon Fusion paint will melt off

Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 PM

I have never used Krylon Fusion, but it looks like there are some differing opinions on its relative merits. I recall that a couple of folks have really raved about its ability to stick to plastic when properly applied. I am disappointed to hear your opinion poodlenuts. I was kind of counting on being able to repaint my stuff with Fusion to provide a tougher finish than what I was able to acheive with the SEM products.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like there's 2 issues to worry about: platsic adhesion and chemical resistance.

Any suggestions for a gas tank application (for either the paint and/or primer)?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM

One thought that comes to mind is a auto body shop. You might take the uninstalled tank there and have them paint it with automotive paint. There has to be a solution that works. There are a heck of a lot of plastic body panels and bumpers out there with nice glossy paint on them. You should be able to get something that is durable and good looking.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

First off, Ive been a painter for 20 years + so that explans my spelling , anyway,any surface that is glossy needs to be de-glossed for the paint to stick.
They sell de-glosser at any paint supply store. As for the Krylon Fusion paint it’s been about 5 years since I last used it,
I also used their primer with no luck, it may work better now, you can always test it on the back side of your side plate to see how it sticks.
they do sell bumper paint at most auto part stores,It maybe worth trying [8D]

Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: poodlenuts
they do sell bumper paint at most auto part stores,It maybe worth trying [8D]
Actually, that's what I used. It was SEM Bumper Coater I think. I started witha couple of coats of Bulldog (or is it Bullfrog - I don't know) which I am guessing is a deglosser like you said. It says it promotes adhesion of paint to plastic. Everything seemed to go on just fine, but I found that even as I was reinstalling the fork guards that I knocked a bit of the paint off when repositioning the speedo cable guide. After the first woods ride, there was several battle scars from passing branches.

I don't see how Fusion could be any worse. I am hoping to connect with EvilDoer and see about covering at least the panels and maybe the fork guards with decal material. If we can't get together, I am going to give Fusion a try.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 AM

I have read about the krylon and have heard good things. I also read that it takes at least a week for maximum adhesion. So to be safe you should hold off riding woods for a week after paint. I also read this "Preparation is key. Wet sand all the way down to 2000 grit if you want it to be perfect. Even 1000 grit will show very small scratches. Clean with soap and water, then some sort of fast drying cleaner that doesn't leave a residue.
Make sure you paint in a warm environment or at least heat the plastic and paint. I use a space heater for the body work and a pale of hot water for the can. Light even coats is KEY and follow up with a heavier coat to get the gloss just right." This is in reference to krylon as well. I haven't actually done it myself but am thinking of also painting. Some also say it is just easier to get replacement pieces after the time and energy spent on painting for best results! Hope this helps

Old 03-13-2007, 04:26 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

One thing you could try is the clear overlay that they install on cars. My buddy has it on his corvette and another friend on his Silverado SS. Its put on the front painted sections to prevent stone chipping. I see it on ebay all the time.

Quick Reply: Painted Plastics Gray