Paging Tremor And Other JP Riders

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Paging Tremor And Other JP Riders

I've looked online and can't seem to find anything about the OEM carb heater lines that are on the JP KLX models. Do any of you guys have some pictures that show how it is routed, to where, and what components are involved. If its just a matter of a couple fittings I could probably just get them at the plumbing supply or autoparts.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Paging Tremor And Other JP Riders

I took all that crap off when I changed to the Mikuni carb, besides it doesn't get cold here

[8D]

I'll take a pic of it all when I get time

Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Nipple at rear of cylinder head is where the circuit starts. You will see a threaded plug in it's place on your bike. The plumbling goes to that green, plastic filter (not needed)then to one side of the T-fitting on the CVK.

Here is theT-fitting at bottom of the carb, justbelow the pilot circuit. This T-fitting islisted in the US KLX part fich. It is anchored with a screw and clip(not shown in this photo). If you have the Kouba fuel screw, there will be interference.

Here is a picture of the T-fitting removed, the hole you insert it into, and the threads for the retaining screw.

The other side of the T-fitting goes to a thermostat (not really needed and not pictured)mountedwith a clamp on the LH side of the engine, where the cylinder joins to the case. The filter you saw earlier is to keep junk out of this thermostat...butthe thermostat is not needed needed, so I recommend skipping thatwhole mess.The theromstatconnects to a hose that goes across the front of the cylinder and to to a plastic T-fitting in the water hose that leads from the radiator to the water pump inlet. The T-fitting is in the middle of the two hose calms in the below image. You can't see the nipple where the de-ice plumbing connects, because it's on the opposite side of the hose. That's theentire circuit.

So to sum it up, heated water comes out the back of the cylinder head, flows through the T-fitting on the carby and returns to the engine viaaT-fitting on the water pump inlet hose. Those are the essentials. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Cool thanks Tremor, it looks like the clip and the screw are in the picture. Here is my question. Does it really work for just cold weather or does it also work when there is moisture in the air that causes the carb to freeze?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Warm water is constantly flowing through the carb. The only time the system is not on is while the engine is warming up. It essentially prevents the formation of ice regardless of the cause, because it is always on.

ORIGINAL: deej

Cool thanks Tremor, it looks like the clip and the screw are in the picture. Here is my question. Does it really work for just cold weather or does it also work when there is moisture in the air that causes the carb to freeze?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

So far as I can see the water doesn't actually flow through the carb is that correct? There is more or less a small cavity that the coolant can go into, its not like a water jacket with an inlet and outlet?