Overheating stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Default Overheating stock exhaust

I've been searching, but not found any threads on this issue.

I bought a bike from the local Kawasaki dealer ( Brockton Cycle Center, Brockton, MA) a couple of weeks ago. It's an '07 trade in. It had a FMF Powercore 4 exhaust on it. But that was so noisy I got a stock exhaust and installed it yesterday.

The bike runs the same. Same amount of power and revs. But the stock exhaust gets real hot. Much hotter than the FMF. It's melting the air box and fender on that side.

I assume the previous owner did some jetting work when he put the exhaust on. But the dealer didn't know anything about the bike. Only that they sold it to the original owner.

I have no carb or jetting knowledge. So don't know what, if anything, I can do right away. That's why I wanted to check the forum on this one.

Tom

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Do you still have the fresh air injection system on the bike?...the one that allows air to pass into the exhaust after the combustion chamber to make a secondary burn for cleaner emissions. If the previous owner richened up the mixture to match an exhaust mod, with the stock system on there you could be getting a strong secondary burn in the exhaust with the extra fuel causing extreme exhaust pipe heat.

Otherwise extreme exhaust pipe temps are usually caused by an extremely lean condition, but with the stock system on there, that doesn't sound likely.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Don't know. I'll check tomorrow. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Tom

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been contemplating removing that system just to see if that would get my exhaust temps down. It should likely come off anyway (seems like baggage), but damn that stock can gets hot. I moved my reflector about 1/2" closer to it when I shaved my tail, and it melted 10km later...

Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Many, many owners remove that system. It doesn't improve or hurt performance, just affects emissions. I don't have it on my '06.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

If your subject to inspection you can just shove a marble or something in the hose to defeat it's function.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about an 07 but my 09 has a catalytic convertor on the stock exhaust, on a car at least when they go bad it gets damn hot.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

A catalytic converter is supposed to get hot. It takes the extra air pumped in and burns any fuel that is left. This makes it get really hot. If the engine is getting more fuel the cat will get hotter. I have seen them glow cherry red. They can start fires under the car if you park in the grass or some dry hay.

The smog stuff I leave on my bike. It does not hurt performance, so what the heck.

Originally Posted by linkin5
I don't know about an 07 but my 09 has a catalytic convertor on the stock exhaust, on a car at least when they go bad it gets damn hot.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 PM

put the fmf back on

catalytic converter on a 250cc fourstroke? what has the world come to

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

But did the '06/'07 model have a "cat"? I never saw the stock exhaust on my used '06 model.

Quick Reply: Overheating stock exhaust