Overheated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Overheated?

Having just done the 350 kit on the klx and perform Bills suggestions on break in, I follow the wife around listening to the bike & asking her hows it running. After a bit of running on the top end (like 6 miles) I get mist on my goggles- hmm I wonder if thats from her bike? Not alot or constant just abit. Wife said it never hickuped or bogged or anything but ran great. Fan never came on. Continued on at a slower rate.

Get home and find the back of her bike w/ a fine spray on the swingarm, rear fender top & underside, underside rear panels. Overflow tank looks fuller & radiator is low. Refill rad watching how much it needs, not alot - Awesome. So I pull the plug and its abit lean not tan but not whiteish like I was thinking it would be.

Jetting 58 pilot 160 main fcr35 - going up on the main to a 162 next.

I never have boiled over my 2strokes. What does the jury think - a simple boilover?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think it boiled over. I've never ever seen mine boil over, and it's been on 90° days in singletrack through forests.. The fan will come on way before boiling, and that won't let it boil if it's working properly..

Gotta be something else. I'd check it out again and see if you have a leak somewhere, or one of the coolant lines might be loose or something. Clean everything up real good, and start it up and just look all over. If nothing go for short ride and examine again.

Good luck

Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Started checking it out more thoroughly. No exhaust smell in the coolant/radiator, or leaking around the cylinder head. Starts up just like it always has. Throttles up normally. Going to do a compression check, if Bill sees this what is the normal range of a big bore kits compression? Nothing unusual anywhere to be found after letting it idle for about 8 minutes, getting it pretty warm w/o the fan coming on. The overflow tube under the rear fender was wet, making me think thats where it was coming from.

Didn't ride it just yet, want to up the main jet first.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

When the bike cools it will suck the coolant back into the rad' from the overflow bottle. If you've topped up the rad' and the overflow is full then next time you use it some will have leaked from the system.