Over my KLX250?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

If you sold your KLX and then bought a CRF250x the difference in price would be about the same as the cost of a nice used yz/kx/cr125. That bike would be lighter almost as fast as a 250 four stroke and easier and cheaper to maintain. Then you'd have a great trail bike/commuter and a bike to go beat up on your friends with.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Just get one of these. It's plated, will hang with your mates bikes, and cost a lot less $$ than a CRFX to keep in top shape. 200 cc is more than enough for most applications. Ask David Knight.

I love my KLX too, and don't have any problems hanging with my mates 450's around our local terrain. Commitment is what it takes, not cubes.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

i was going to give you advice but if you can do something from me now, have your friend kick you in the ***** for not buying that 450. period.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had experience with a wide range of bikes, trying to find the right one. When your buddies influence your decision, that's when it gets difficult. I've bought the klx250s twice now. I've had a handful of 2-stroke 125's and 250's, and love the power and light weight, but constantly clutching, changing gears and revving the motor in tight trails. I had the suzuki DRZ400s, and it was powerful, but way too heavy for tight trails. I had a crf450, and it would just wheelie from tree to tree, overheat, stall out, and then spend the next 15 minutes breaking my leg trying to kickstart it again. Then I had a KX250F, tons of power, great mx bike, but still a lot of work on the trails and no electric start. Granted I'm more than double your age, I love electric start, and the smooth power of the KLX250s, when I traded my first one in, I missed it and bought another one. But if I was 15 again, I would have lots of energy to kickstart stuff, and would want to raise more hell than the KLX raises. I'm sure they would all be uber-jealous when they see you riding on the street though.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

A couple of things to take into consideration are: 1. is the bike paid for? If it is don't get rid of it, its an asset. 2. Do you have the money to get a new bike? The KLX will most likely not sale for what your looking for. 3. How much do you have set aside for a new bike? If you have money get yourself a 351 big bore, you won't be dissapointed. The bike is the same light weight, very nimble, street legal bike, but has a lot more power when you need it....And the torque that comes out of it with the 351 is very useable. It's still not a race bike, but with another 151 CC's you will be closer than before.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luke186
yeah the klx sure is an unimpressive bike.... only positive, easy maintenance and reliability.

Unimpressive? Wow! I couldn't disagree more. After 3 and a half years, and 12,000 miles and all of the rides I have been on, the smile on my face says it all. And if anyone thinks that the bike is not doing what it should, they you are in the wrong gear and not taking advantage of the right rpm's. Remember that this bike is at its best at between 7 and 8 grand. In the right gear and rpm I can absolutely rip it up, and I weigh 240 lbs. If I weighed 80 lbs less, well lets just say I would probably have ended up in the hospital by now.

Kick my dog, and take my birthday away, but you try and take my KLX and someone is going home in a body bag.

I want to be buried with my bike.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction

But I will be 76, confused, angry and getting spoon fed mashed apples.
Its a good thing I like apples.
Hey as long as this is feeding me...BRING IT ON!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadglider
If you sold your KLX and then bought a CRF250x the difference in price would be about the same as the cost of a nice used yz/kx/cr125. That bike would be lighter almost as fast if not faster...hint as a 250 four stroke and easier and cheaper to maintain. Then you'd have a great trail bike/commuter and a bike to go beat up on your friends with.
That is the most wise post on this thread. Do what this man says, get a 125 smoker of your choice, be 15 and have some serious fun.

Ignore posts from deej until you hit 35 or so.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 06-24-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Hey as long as this is feeding me...BRING IT ON!!!!

Heh Deej, your stealing my jokes.
Which is a total disaster as I only have 3 left.

There is one decision here Deej?
Blonde or brunette.

Originally Posted by CBH4187
77 years old and still riding off road, how cool is that! I hope I'll be that fortunate.
I just hope I can remember my own name and that this nurse is the one changing my nappy.
Name:  sammie-rhodes-nurse-outfit.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

you guys are dreamin'. You're not Hef'. Reality check. LOL

Quick Reply: Over my KLX250?