OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?

The Walkera heli, having a hard time mastering the controls or is it hardware issues? That particular brand is known to have shoddy electronics and its hit or miss if you get a good one. Could be why the GWS was a bit more for relatively the same thing. They have a love hate relationship with Walkera on www.rcgroups.com. Sweet looking Maxx too!

MarkTurbo, how's the Z-400 ride? When they first came out they were pretty well hyped but I've never ridden one. How would it compare to say a Warrior or a Raptor 660?

Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 AM

So what is a good beginner RC heli? I started looking at them on the net last night and there are alot to choose from. I don't want a mini but a small indoor/outdoor model. Is the Dragonfly ok? Almost bought it last night. Got to have something to do this winter.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

The GWS MiniDragonfly is great for beginners, parts are cheap and its plenty durable. There's 2 versions, one has a gear driven tail and small main motor, the other has a direct drive tail and beefier main motor. I have the direct drive model. It is more responsive and has better power but neither one is aerobatic like a collective pitch chopper would be. It took me about 4 weeks of short hops to get to where I was reasonably comfortable with hovering. I've had it just over a year now and still haven't mastered flying with the nose facing me but I've not been practicing as much as I had been.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

My favorite other hobbie is to hook someone up with their first sailfish and seeing the look on their face.......btw first one and you're going in the drink, its tradition.

Name:  Bob****.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  67.5 KB

I also like fixing, doing mods on boats, I'm fairly good at glass work, here's a pic, during painting, of my old classic flats boat that I bought off a florida keys fishing guide that I totally gutted and fixed up, it's my baby, the KLX is my girl.

Since I'm waiting for dinner, here's a mid repair pic of a transom I did for a buddy after he and the motor broke most of it off due to an underwater impact.

I'm hungry.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is one of my RC,s 1/4 scale PT19 with a 25cc homlite motor
Name:  2005-12-29097.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  67.1 KB
Here is a hobby that I did for 25 years this is why I didn't start riding untill 4 years ago.Name:  GeorgeandTiminairplane.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  36.9 KB
I am in the blue Howie is right behind me wearing the ball cap he is also in some of my other posts on th
e Yamaha TTR250 I was a jump pilot and a freefall cameraman for a while
I am not in this picture, but I took it and Howie is in it. Name:  camerajump.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  28.4 KB

Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 AM

cars, boats, skiing, camping, bikes, and of course my girlfriend!!

Name:  91jetta.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0626.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  mycbr600rr005.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  PICT0037.jpg
Size:  100.6 KB
Name:  allydec05.jpg
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

My hobby is abusing my disposable income (what little of it there is ... ), but obviously I'm not as good at it as some of you. At least now I have a better idea of how far behind I am!!!

Although my formal education is in mechanical engineering (which allows me to totally admire everyone's robotics and RC hobblies), my other "hobby" has been the long term development of an artificial intelligence technology and framework. (Deej can appreciate that because my hands never get dirty ... wish I could say the same for my code!!!)

Mike

Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey klxstiffler, your girlfriend is gorgeous. And I mean that with respect.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 AM

Me and my 93 Kodiak 400 that I've had for since it was new.

Name:  coal_creek_04012006_2.jpg
Size:  87.8 KB

Iowaguy's fav ... my Shelby Cobra Replica.

Name:  panoz_tour_05.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB

And I still consider this a hobby even thou it's what I get paid to do.

Name:  bud_2_k9.jpg
Size:  111.8 KB

Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt
MarkTurbo, how's the Z-400 ride? When they first came out they were pretty well hyped but I've never ridden one. How would it compare to say a Warrior or a Raptor 660?
The Z400 was a sweet bike, it would come up in first, second, third, from a roll. I use to own a Warrior too and the Z is a far superior bike as the Warrior is such an old design. I ride my friends 660 and I personally like the feel of the Z better, seating position and handling feel better then the 660. And my Z had no problem staying with the 660 on the flat straights.

That’s why when I sold the Z to buy the KLX, after first riding the KLX I was like oh no “I shouldn’t have bought this bike, it has no power”

Quick Reply: OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?