OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?

I was talking with EMS on aim the other day and showed him a few pics of my other "toys" and he suggested I post them here, so here goes.

First up is my 7.2 volt brushless powered Traxxas Stampede with a carbon fiber chassis and 3/16" aluminum front shocktower (made my yours truly) it weighs roughly 6.5 lbs and runs to a top speed in the mid to low 40's and will pull a wheelie at will unlike my KLX.

Next is a highly modified Tamiya Clodbuster. I used the frame from another Tamiya truck (TXT-1) for a template and hand cut the chassis from 3/16" 3003 alloy aluminum. $75 to buy the 2 plates from Tamiya, $22 and saw blades for me to make them. As shown it can get nearly 90 degrees of axle articulation with the other 3 tires flat on the ground. This truck is a 4x4x4 aka 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering with independant rear wheel steering via separate switches on the radio. Can't see it well but there is no driveline connecting the front and rear axles, thats because each axle has its own contained motor and gearbox. That jug its propped up against is a gallon jug of nitro fuel for another truck I had at the time. This truck is also electric however runs on 8.4 volts.

Next up is my 3 speed 6x6 custom. It has parts in it from 3 different trucks. For the transmission I'm using a manually shifted (via the radio) 3 speed transmission from one of Tamiya's tractor trailer kits, the transfer case is a transmission from a Traxxas Stampede, and the 3 axles are from the Tamiya TLT-1. It took me 4 weeks to design and build this one, essentially I bought the body and worked backwards. This truck has a 90:1 crawl ratio in first gear and 3rd is around 70:1 I think, haven't calculated them in a while but it tops out around a fast walking pace but has incredible torque. With the shift on the fly transmission I've pulled a 9 cubic foot lawn cart that weighs 70lbs and it had no problem, aside from steering that is.

This one started life as a Tamiya Touareg but I stretched the wheelbase and added the 1987 Chevy hard styrene body from the orginal Clodbuster kit. It's running locked front and rear differentials and as shown has IFS up front and a solid rear axle, the smaller tires are 1/10th scale licensed BFGoodrich Mud Terrains too bad I wore the lettering off. In the roost pic it has the stock TLT-1 tires mounted which are just a chevron tread.

And last but not least my GWS MiniDragonfly II micro fixed pitch helicopter.

This fella runs on a 7.4 volt 2 cell lithium battery and weighs less than 1 lb with the battery and all other electronics. I have strobe led kit installed that is also a battery alarm. They run a chaser patern from nose to tail until the battery reaches 3 volts per cell and then they all light up simultaneously. No it won't carry any payload ( I always get asked that when I post that picture).

So that's that for me, I've got a ton more pics but didn't want to bog down the dial up folks too much. Feel free to add your hobbies/toys whatever they may be.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Default RE: OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?

I like the remote contol thing too.

Its all the same Savage .. just different motors, TVPs, and Lids.

And of course the firmware modified xbox 360..

And the original hacked xbox before it..

Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet, over the summer I had both a Revo and a Savage as well as a Hyper 7 PBS 8th scale buggy, all of which have been sold to fund various other projects. Haven't followed the XBox much, whats with the hacked firmware?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You guys could have bought two KLX's for what you have there. But I guess the KLX wasn't around then huh? LOL

Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Edit: information repeated elsewhere

Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM

The XBOX 360 DVD drives are easy to flash with different firmware. When your drive is flashed with a modified firmware, the 360 can't tell the difference between a copy and a original. So you can make back ups of your games and play them.. or make back ups of your friends games or download the images of the games. Of course the last 2 options violate the DMCA so i would never do that but you get the idea.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:33 AM

No Brakes, you are hardcore.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ntloser

No Brakes, you are hardcore.
Oh man, not just geek, hardcore geek ... I knew I shouldn't have said anything [&:]

Old 10-11-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

In the ones I have pictured I have just over half a KLX invested, if you add in the 3 I sold over the summer plus the other 2 helis I had over the summer as well, well then yes I would have a KLX and a third in non rideable offroad fun.............but whose counting anyway.

NoBrakes, that DARPA challenge sounded crazy from what little coverage I saw of it, pretty neat to actually know of someone that competed *insert thumbs up smiley here*.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes......Nerd Alert. Just kidding, I remember in the mid 70's I had an Electronic Projects kit, where you could make all kinds of stuff, but then I started noticing girls, and even though I never talked to girls all through high school, never the less the distraction was set in stone.

Quick Reply: OT Other Hobbies/Boys Toys?