Organized modification posts for noobs!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Default Organized modification posts for noobs!!

Hello,
I am new to working on engines and all, I am mechanically inclined, but I just need directions on getting started. Anyhow I have been reading all the posts for all the modifications and was wondering if anyone could make an organized post for all the free modifications done. It gets really confusing looking at alot of differant posts scattered all over the place and trying to organize them together. Only if anyone has the time to do this, I would greatly appreciate it, as I am sure others would too.
So this is what I can recall so far in my head for the free mods.
1.) Adjust the air, fuel mixture but drilling out the seal and adjusting the screw to 2.5 clicks
2.) ordering the dyno jet kit (I know its not free, but it seems necassary correct?the KLX 300 dyno?)
3.)Drill crank case vent hole. (If i drop the bike the oil can run in here right? would it mess up the bike pemanetley if this happens?)
4.)Get new air snorkel, a KX model, KDX model?? Which is the best to go with?? what year?
5.) drill slide vent hole
6.) Drill 1/2" hole in muffler baffle plate until I have enough money to buy a Muzzy
7.) Of course a 13 T sprocket.

And where would be the best places for ordering these parts?

Please add to this if I am missing something. Again I know these are alot of steps and found that the WOW by bmwd actually has alot of these pics posted. I guess i just have to get my hands dirty and get in there, the problem is I have never done this before and don't want to screw anything up. I will definatley order a muzzy later down the road, I want this thing to sound more like a dirt bike then a lawn mower.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Organized modification posts for noobs!!

I’d like to know where everyone is getting these sprockets?

I emailed Dual Star and this was their reply in reference to the LED taillight and sprockets/chain:

Yes, the KLR 650 LED taillight will work in the taillight housing of the KLX250S. However, this is unofficially confirmed and is not supported by the manufacturer yet. If purchased, you are on your own. The price on the LED taillight is listed on our website at $64.95, and a 108 link RK X-ring chain will run about $77.90. The sprockets are not available to us yet, but check back periodically for updates on this matter.

I just sold my dirt bike and will be buying a KLX250s soon. It’s still pretty cold and windy here, so I have a little time. But I have been trying to compile a shopping list for when I get the bike. I’m definitely going with a full exhaust and chain/sprockets along with the free mods. Is the Muzzy the only option or just the best one? I’ve heard of FSW but can’t seem to find them anywhere. I believe Big Gun and FMF make systems that will fit also…