Opps Dropped It... Clutch Switch Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

If anyone deletes a working switch I would like theirs.

Reason. Girlfriends is broke and lets her start the bike in gear. She ALLWAYS starts the bike before getting on it for several reasons that are really not worth the battle to debate. She also ALLWAYS puts the bike in neutral when she stops. Therefore its my fault that she droped the bike after I had test ridden it to check out how the carb was acting up and left it in gear. So for now here clutch switch is disconnected and only starts in nueutral. That keeps me from causing her to drop the bike on accident but I would like for her to be able to restart the bike while on it if it dies in gear at idle. (Which it has been doing a bit of sparodicly until it warms up a little)
Willing to pay postage.

Also still looking for a 2009 clutch perch. I made a trade with a member for her old perch and zetal folding lever but the perch I recieved must have been from 06/07 model becuase the mirror mount was smaller. So my bike is a one mirror bike right now.
Cheers Jim

Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Can you retap the mirror mounting hole? I'd send you my switch but I broke the pin while playing with the clutch cable/barkbuster interface.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Retap to a different size or are the threads just buggerd up? I should be able to do either. PM me what you want for it including shipping
Cheers Jim

Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

For $16 that is a spendy switch. Looks like a few of the other Kawi's use the same switch as well. It is a safety switch, so if it is bypassed, make a note of it. You can always think about welding another plastic abs tab to the broken section.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking of it. Maybe shave the nub off and drill and glue in a rod.

Anyone kknow proper lenght of the pin?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess I'm the only one left with working OEM switches. Never had a problem with the clutch or the kickstand switch. And I do off-road it hard at times.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I was thinking of it. Maybe shave the nub off and drill and glue in a rod.

Anyone kknow proper lenght of the pin?
Na, melt down some abs in a solution of MEK. Let it sit over night until dissolved. Apply like super glue to the replacement abs tabs and fill in the chamfered edges to form a good weld. (I would prep the tabs as if they will be stick welded. chamfered.) It should prove to be up to your quality standards. Give it a shot.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds good. Anyone out there got lenght for me? I got 3 bikes here, two that actually have switches and both are broke.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

13 mm. See pic in post five; mine had broken right at the block unlike in the illustration which shows a stub still on the block.
Thought I'd tossed the broken bit but found it. The upside of packratitis! Guess I figure on repairing it someday.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 01-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok I got lost somewhere in slapdrums write up. Is the switch normally open or closed? To remove the switch and bypass the whole thing do I need to solder the wires leading to the switch together, or cap them off? Thanks. Dan

Quick Reply: Opps Dropped It... Clutch Switch Q?