Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Dude those were my favs too.....
Don't forget Ponch and John!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I inherited the lights from a deceased friend. They were just laying around in his garage. I figured I would hook em up to see how well they performed. They are 55wt halogen bulbs. They are definately spot lights, not flood. As far as crashing on them, I think I will weld up some screens to place in front of them for rock protection. I built the bracket. It is pretty stout, but the lights themselves could fall victim.
I do ride a lot at night in the spring/summer/fall seasons. Last year, I became a huge believer in driving lights. I was nearly killed when an elk ran out into the middle of the road while I was sportbiking at night. If it weren't for the driving lights, I would not have seen him.
I am planning on doing the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route later this year. I figured getting some of these necessities taken care of early would allow me more time to work on the gas tank issue. I will attach a couple of pics below comparing the regular headlight to the headlight with the driving lights.

Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Auxiliary lights...-without-lights-.jpg   Opinion on Auxiliary lights...-lights-.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

And here are a few showing the results of the lights...first one is headlight only. The second one is all lights on.

Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Auxiliary lights...-pic0094.jpg   Opinion on Auxiliary lights...-pic0095.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Since they are a freebie I would use them and enjoy them. They look nice enough. If I was going the new out of pocket route I would use these:

http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/s1100/

Pricey but durable. Adding them to my Jeep as aux backup lights - its dark in the desert.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pseacraft
If I was going the new out of pocket route I would use these:

http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/s1100/

Pricey but durable. Adding them to my Jeep as aux backup lights - its dark in the desert.
Thanks for the link. When someone wants to hire me someday, I will probably look into those.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

They look good..only caution I have is to keep an eye on the charging of the battery. Make sure the bike can keep up with the drain the extra lights will have on the system. Be safe.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Same as above, watch out for battery drain. The klx has very little extra voltage. I see you have a fz6, I have an 04 fz6.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to add one of these-
http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_lights.html

I ride a lot of single track and I'm afraid I would rip those off- but for fire roads or street they would be great- Years ago on my street bike I had two mounted like yours- much safer at night

Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmar
I see you have a fz6, I have an 04 fz6.
The FZ6 is the wife's bike. My other bike is a 919.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daveg
I'm going to add one of these-
http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_lights.html

I ride a lot of single track and I'm afraid I would rip those off- but for fire roads or street they would be great- Years ago on my street bike I had two mounted like yours- much safer at night
My buddy has the offroad version the X2 on his KTM and that puts out some light for being in such a compact package. The dualsport version lists for only $99.95. This would be a great way to drop some weight from the front end of the bike. I guess you'd have to get a Vapor computer to fit behind it?

Quick Reply: Opinion on Auxiliary lights...