Opening up the KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Take out the slide from the carb' (only requires you to remove the side panels and the tank and the carb' top,) and measure the vent hole. If a 7/64" bit wont slide through the vent, then drill it out so it will.
Thanks, I'll check it out right now.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

You must be talking about the hole next to the needle hole on the bottom of the slide... Can you go bigger than 7/64" or will it hinder performance?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

That's the one.
7/64" is the recognized benchmark. Going bigger will have adverse effects, slide hover etc. You can get problems erratic idle. Mine is 7/64" and it idles great. Has great response too, for a CV type carb'.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks, its drilled out but since I had the bike apart I took the screen out of the air box too so not too sure how much of a difference the drill did but the both of them sure made an improvement! Bike is running a little lean so now I get to change out the main jet.

Thanks again WestOzKLX.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cosmickites
can you pleaes give me more info on this? i have removed teh snorkel from the airbox, is this the same thing in a sence? sorry about my ignoarance, just dont want to F someting up.

any pics would be apprecited or must a marked up diagram. thanks

2) Drilled the crankcase vent hole at the lower front right hand corner of the airbox out to 3/8". Like the KLX300, this system is plugged up and enlarging the hole helps move air out of the crankcase. It also means oil has a clear shot at your airbox if you lay the bike over.
How does this help with performance?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

If I drill out the stock pipe and put some holes in the Airbox cover will I have to mess with carb? I plane on getting a new exhaust and jet kit later on, but I just don't have the funds right now and we are hitting the trails on Saturday.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by texengland
If I drill out the stock pipe and put some holes in the Airbox cover will I have to mess with carb? I plane on getting a new exhaust and jet kit later on, but I just don't have the funds right now and we are hitting the trails on Saturday.
No point in doing that without jetting as the bike runs lean as is stock.

Wow this thread brings back memories of when I first my KLX. I wonder how bmwhd is doing? That guy knew his stuff!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds good I'll just run it bone stock on Saturday then. Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
No point in doing that without jetting as the bike runs lean as is stock.

Wow this thread brings back memories of when I first my KLX. I wonder how bmwhd is doing? That guy knew his stuff!
He pops into the FJR and KLX threads at Adv Rider every now and again. Seems like he's doing fine.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 AM

I have just finished putting the Jet Kit, FMF Q4 and KDX snorkel on my bike. It's like a night and day difference. I am debating changing to the 13T countershaft sprocket, but I'm afraid it will make the bike a little squirrely offroad. Anyone have any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Opening up the KLX250S