Only running on Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Only running on Idle

Just had a problem with the SF(Totaly Stock)
Felt like it was running out of fuel & it was about the right mileage. So I switched to reserve. But I could not get much more than 1/4 throttle. Limped back to the gas station filled it up-still same problem. Crossed the street to the ship looked for pinched vent or fuel lines and could not see any.

I let it cool off completly then started it and have same problem. I took the boot from airbox to carb off and when I twist the throttle I get flutter of the diaphram lifting the slide and it will rev to 3000 or 4000 but dies after. I can lift the slide all the way up and needle comes up but engine RPM stay constant. I am thinking I have a clog in the main jet or the supply to it.

Right now I am running the fuel out of the carb and will test flow out of the petcock by draining thru the carb supply line after it cools off. If its good I will remove the carb and investigate.

Any words of wisdome would be apreciated. Will rejet while I have the carb out and open.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Try draining the drain the float bowl, no need to remove it there's a screw on the side of the carb that opens it.

Water will separate from the fuel and lay at the bottom of the bowl. It'll idle fine on the pilot jet, but under high demand the main farther down in the bowl will suck the water up.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Rim
I should have waited to see your reply before I started. I found some grit in the bowl, Did not notice any water but I spilled everything out in the proccess of removing the carb and bringing it in the shop. I removed both jets and put the back in after checking them(decided to keep the jet kit for the other bike since this is the one getting sold) I checked the float by blowing thru the inlet line and operating the float. I think that may have been the problem as it seemed to have more flow after a few up down cycles. Put everything back together and started it up-full throttle. Finished mounting the tank, seat and shrouds and took it for a test drive. All is well.

Here are my observations after my first carbectomy.
Its a PIA
I am sure I will get better with time.

the carb can NOT fit out the side without removing the tank. I had the heat shield& cam adjuster off but there was no way it was comeing out that hole.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah it sounded like it was the main jet.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

So I am wondering can anyone tell me what should happen if you have the bike at idle with airbox to carb boot removed and you manualy lift the slide. Should the idle go up? Should I see fuel? I am wondering since the butterfly is still shut would the lack of airflow be the controling factor?
Does there need to be a vaccum to pull the fuel up thru the main jet once the needle is lifted?

I am wondering if removing the boot and lifting the slide provides any diagnostic value at all.

Removing the boot and watching the slide lift as result of opening throttle and getting a little RPM verified for me that my diaphram was not totaly shot or slide stuck so I did not even open that end of the carb.