One for the Wife

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Default One for the Wife

Hi everyone! Looking at a KLX 250 s for my wife and have a few questions. She currently rides a Suzuki DR200SE that she loves, but needs more power. I have already rejetted and drilled out the exhust, but it still just doesn't have enough power. She really doesn't ride it off road, just paved back roads and dirt roads.

So, my questions are:

1. How does the KLX compare to the DR200 in terms of STOCK power? I know I can improve on the KLX, but as a basis of comparision how do they compare stock?

2. Can I lower the seat height? Is there an aftermarket lowering link, or do I have to fabricate my own? Can it even be done?

Thanks for any advise!!!

Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Default RE: One for the Wife

jam_nut,

While I don't own a DR200SE, I do get a chance to ride one on a regular basis. I work as an MSF RiderCoach and one of the training bikes at our school is a Suzuki DR200SE. I do however ride a KLX250S as I own one of those.

Let me say this, in comparison, there is no comparison between the two bikes. The KLX250 is so much more of a motorcycle than the little DR it is almost embarassing!

No one is currently making lowering links for the KLX250S, but a person I know has the ability and the machines to do that. We have already broached that subject. I want a "Raising Link" for the rear of my bike. The reason for this is that it mechanically alters (leverage) the advantage of the shock and spring over the size of the rider. That is it makes the stock rear suspension work better for full size riders, which I happen to be one of.

My KLR650 is equipped with a set and it makes all the difference in the world. Yes, the KLR650 is 1.25 inches taller than any other KLR650, but I am also able to ride with the preload set at a 1 or 2 instead of 5 and have the proper amount of sag in the rear suspension.

If you want, send me the rear link from the bike (your bike has two, they are identical) and I'll have my friend set up the machines and make it for you.

On the front suspension, it is a matter of dropping the forks in the triple trees an equal amount to the drop afforded by the lowering links in the rear.

I think that will put a big smile on your wife's face!

Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jam_nut

Hi everyone! Looking at a KLX 250 s for my wife and have a few questions. She currently rides a Suzuki DR200SE that she loves, but needs more power. I have already rejetted and drilled out the exhust, but it still just doesn't have enough power. She really doesn't ride it off road, just paved back roads and dirt roads.

So, my questions are:

1. How does the KLX compare to the DR200 in terms of STOCK power? I know I can improve on the KLX, but as a basis of comparision how do they compare stock?

2. Can I lower the seat height? Is there an aftermarket lowering link, or do I have to fabricate my own? Can it even be done?

Thanks for any advise!!!
1. Stock thier both about equal, IMO. The DR200 was a great bike till I got the KLX250S. DR would max a 70mph with basic mods, carb work. Decent off road suspension and good milage, and would climb anything I asked it too. It needs one more gear. Pretty blue also.
Stock, the KLX is a fine ride, a bit lathargic for me, and has a short range. Gear it down and its very usefull all around. Great suspension, looks good and fine ergonomics. BMWHD and I have jetted +, drilled the exhaust, and geared down which brings these badboys to life.

2. You can buy lowering links, but you have to raise to bars to drop the front end, to keep the geometry right.

So, just running around dirt roads and back hiways, I find my DR quite capable. The KLX is now my single track machine. Good power and fantastic suspension. Great power after mods

There is my .02

Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM

No one is currently making lowering links for the KLX250S,
Kouba makes lowering links for the KLX250s -- I already have a set of them on mine, along with 1-inch handlebars risers, so the forks can be slid up in the clamps -- lowers the seat height almost 2 inches altogether, and if you shaved the seat foam, you could get another inch lower. Then it would be a smidge lower than the DR200, I think. Bike still has all the suspension travel and ground clearance I need.

Look here:

http://www.koubalink.com/KLX250-300.html

Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the dealer take out foam before I picked mine up did the job for me, it would be simpler and cheaper than the suspension work IF it makes it low enough for your wife

Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OldDualSporter

Kouba makes lowering links for the KLX250s -- I already have a set of them on mine, along with 1-inch handlebars risers, so the forks can be slid up in the clamps -- lowers the seat height almost 2 inches altogether, and if you shaved the seat foam, you could get another inch lower. Then it would be a smidge lower than the DR200, I think. Bike still has all the suspension travel and ground clearance I need.

Look here:

Those look great - any problems with them? Also, what exactly did you use for the handlebar risers? Do you have a URL for where one can order them? I love my KLX250S, but it might be just a smidge tall for me. I think I'm OK sitting vertical as my weight pushes the suspension down, but when I lean to the side to turn sharply while starting out, since not much weight is on the bike, the suspension uncompresses and makes the bike effectively much taller and it feels awkward and unstable to me. Do you think a set of these links is the best way to remedy that, or is this more of a suspension adjustment problem?

Old 01-29-2006, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: OldDualSporter

Look here:

Those look great - any problems with them? Also, what exactly did you use for the handlebar risers? Do you have a URL for where one can order them? I love my KLX250S, but it might be just a smidge tall for me. I think I'm OK sitting vertical as my weight pushes the suspension down, but when I lean to the side to turn sharply while starting out, since not much weight is on the bike, the suspension uncompresses and makes the bike effectively much taller and it feels awkward and unstable to me. Do you think a set of these links is the best way to remedy that, or is this more of a suspension adjustment problem?
Here are two risers that would worK:
http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Han...temZ4607715881

You can also remove more of the rear spring pre-load, to get even lower, especially for a lighter rider.

I've used this stuff on most of my bikes, with no problems at all -- and it improves the handling, with a lower center of gravity -- I haven't had any problems with less ground clearance, or bottoming-out the front or rear suspension, either -- of course, I don't race anymore, or do huge jumps, either -- just do normal street and trail riding, with no more heroics these days.
If someone is VERY heavy, they could still use the links, but leave the pre-load alone.

Just SOME of the many new bikes I've lowered successfully recently: 05 DRZ400SM, 04 and 05 KLR250, 06 KLX250S, 03, 04, and 06 DR6560's, 03 and 04 HD Sportsters -- all have performed flawlessly, and enabled me to flat-foot every one of them. I'm held together with some metal parts myself, and just can't hold up a top-heavy bike anymore, or pick up a heavy bike anymore if I do drop one, so being in control is quite important for me, and lowering helps that greatly.
If some people post about someoine that can handle a real high seat hight, even though they may be short, then good for them -- but not everyone can do it, or wants to.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM

Folks,
Thanks for the great replies. I like the kouba links as I have some experience with them and trust them. Thinning the seat does have the advantage of no suspension geometry changes, but it has the disadvantage of less confort.

Anyway we found a very good price on one and now just need to sell her 2002 DR200SE. Anyone interested?