Old Lurker, New Member

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Old Lurker, New Member Bike ( Bike Pics)

Me:
Hello, I have been lurking here since 2009, I have done nearly all of my mods based on this forum. I figured its about time to join and contribute. Here we go.

2009 KLX 351S

History:
I bought the bike in July of 2010 with 0 miles on it. It was ridden in stock form for about twelve minutes. I voided the warranty the day I brought it home. The bike is now a whole new animal with all of the additions, changes, and wrecks it has seen. I used to ride the bike as my primary transportation in the summer, but I upgraded to something more roadworthy for long haul asphalt trips and going fast (2011 Ninja 1000, also awesome). The KLX is now my “go to” dirt bike, gravel road runner, and exploration vehicle. Only on foot (slow) or in an aircraft (expensive) can I reach more places than the KLX. I have ridden the “Northern AK Cross” as I call it, Fairbanks to Circle, AK, Manley, AK, and Deadhorse, AK (not all at once). I also go camping, and small game hunting on a regular basis from the bike. The bike has never returned to the dealer or a shop.

Stats:
7XXX miles on the Odometer, 25% Paved Surfaces, 25% Gravel Roads, 50% “Offroad” (double track, single track, no track, and snow)

Ride in temperatures from 15F to 80F. April to October

Fuel Capacity: 7.1 gallons Total: 4.1 gal. plumbed, 3 gal. on the rear rack

Range: 300-400 miles depending on gearing and wrist restraint w/ full fuel load, 45-60 mpg

Horsepower: There are no dynos in Fairbanks, way more than factory stock…

Torque: (see Horsepower)

Weight: Heavy for a Dirt Bike, Light for a Road Bike (300-450 lbs. depending on gear w/o a rider)

Top Speed: 92 mph w/ 15 Tooth Counter Sprocket, 77 mph w/ 13 Tooth Counter Sprocket

Trail Awesomeness: Infinite

Trips of note: Originating in Fairbanks, AK (where I live) to:

Circle, Alaska on the Steese Highway – 340 Miles Roundtrip, Day Trip

Manley Hot Springs, Alaska on the Elliot Highway – 340 Miles Roundtrip, Day Trip

Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on the Dalton Highway - 1000 Miles Roundtrip, Two-Day Trip (I used to guide bus and van tours to the Arctic Ocean which is 500 miles from my house. The Dalton Highway or “Haul Road”, as we call it, is my backyard and the KLX’s ideal environment.)

Name:  KLXpic3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  KLXpic2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  KLXpic1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  100.1 KB
Name:  KLXpic4.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  101.7 KB

Here she is without the touring accessories attached (Dirt Mode). Fresh 606s added yesterday. Mod list next thread if I'm fast enough

Last edited by Boglor; 08-05-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: 56k Pic warning in title
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Modifications:
1. BB 351 Big Bore Kit (there is no replacement for displacement)
2. Re-jetted CVK 34 to Keihnin 38 Pilot, Dyno-Jet Needle 4th Notch, Dyno-Jet 132 Main
3. T-Handle Fuel/Air Screw, 2.5 turns out
4. Starter Jet Drilled to .18” (awesome for cold starts)
5. FMF Megabomb Header + FMF Q4 Muffler (packing burned out after 5k miles, not quiet)
6. Airbox Snorkel Removed (even less quiet)
7. Uni Two Stage Air Filter
8. Removed Smog Emissions Module and Hoses
9. Dunlop D606 Tires, 90/90-21 Front, 120/90-18 Rear (best DOT tires for me, 2nd pair)
10. 13, 14 (stock), and 15 Tooth Counter Sprockets (use 13T for town and dirt, 15T for trips)
11. IMS 3 Gallon Main Fuel Tank (had to patch a hole in it when it arrived…)
12. Baker 1.1 Gallon Auxiliary Tank (glad I got the last one, just awesome)
13. Shorai Lithium Battery (feels like a toy, but really cranks)
14. TCI Products Aluminum Skid Plate w/ Steel Engine Guards
15. TCI Products Radiator Guard
16. TCI Products Rear Brake Master Cylinder Guard
17. TCI Products Touring Windscreen (REMOVE BEFORE RALLY USE, this is my second)
18. TCI Products Universal Front Rack
19. Renthal YFZ 450 7/8” Handlebars (perfect rise and sweep for me)
20. Zeta Armor Handguards w/ Brushguards (saved the bars and my hands countless times)
21. 12 O’clock Labs EDGE LED Tailight 2 w/ integrated LED Turn Signals
22. DMP Arrow LED Front Turn Signals
23. Seat Concepts Foam Padding and Seat Cover (easy to assemble and so00oo nice)
24. Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag (all in all Wolfman makes a top notch dirt bike touring set)
25. Wolfman Enduro Tool Bag
26. Wolfman Enduro Fender Bag
27. Wolfman Enduro Duffel Bag
28. Wolfman E-10 Saddle Bags (#24-#28 are nice because they will fit any other dirt bike)
29. Reinforced Sub-frame w/ 5/8” Round Stock (driven into the frame from the rear tubes)
30. Homemade Fuel Reserve Rack made from 1”X ½” Flat Stock (removed unless touring)
31. (2) 1.5 Gallon Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr. with 90 Degree Mount Plates (removed unless touring)
32. “Custom” Bends, Cracks, Gouges, Scratches, and Missing Chunks

Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice bike.

I'm glad you finally joined - I thought someone was lurking around out there....

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

nice bike dude, that thing is legit.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome setup man.

I think you've pretty much exhausted all the mods that can be done to this bike.
I don't see a rear fender rack, no need for it?

Out of curiosity, how do you carry gun(s) when going small game hunting?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! Nice list, too. I'm also glad I got that 1.1 gallon tank before he quit making them.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

To answer the questions:

Q: "I don't see a rear fender rack, no need for it?

Out of curiosity, how do you carry gun(s) when going small game hunting?"

A:The rear rack is a "custom made" (with my lack of skill) steel device consisting of two pieces of flat stock held together by the Kolpin Jr. Tank Mounts. It has holes drilled in it to match the rear tool bag holes. It is bolted on using long Allen Head metric bolts and nuts.

The rack is heavy duty in order to hold the 3 gallons of fuel it carries plus any other gear. This also makes the rack heavy in weight, so it is not on the bike unless I am going more than 225 miles with out a fuel station.

I will post a pic of the bike loaded out next week as I am heading to Prudhoe Bay again on Wednesday.

I usually hunt Grouse and Ptarmigan with a .22LR Ruger Mark III pistol, so it is usually in the holster on my hip . Sometimes I'll strap my .22LR 10-22 Rifle to the handlebars though. I don't hunt big game from the bike as it is too loud (I think at least, I never see animals close to me while riding it), it also can't take many Moose Quarters as far as I can see .

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh I forgot to mention the bike is also winterized, it has (2) 25 watt block heater installed and a trickle charger that Velcros to the auxiliary fuel tank.

One of the heaters is on the jug next to the starter, the other is on the bottom of the oil pan. They are attached with silicon.

I plug in all three devices to a 3-1 female to male () extension cord so the bike will start at 15F and the battery doesn't freeze.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, nice bike man.

Thank you for listing your mods, I was curious about a few of them in the pictures but you answered them in your next post.

Love that skid plate with the bars, might be my next mod.

Glad to see someone who likes their bike and uses it like they should. Can't believe you waited this long to join, your bike is up there with some of the best.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

p.s.
Damn you guys and your Bake auxillary tank. I missed out, I would love one of those.

Quick Reply: Old Lurker, New Member